Chapter 39:

If you thought the suspense before was bad. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I got home, I laid down on my bed and was out like a light, not waking again until well into the afternoon.

Dad wasn't home, having to go into work and all.

But breakfast sat innocently on the table. . .Right next to a sticky note left by my dad.

'Mr. and Mrs.Witherbrow let me know what happened, we need to discuss this when I get home, rest, I called into school and let them know you won't be attending class for a bit - Love, Dad'

Pursing my lips, I made a mental note to personally thank my teachers for not letting him know I haven't attended class in a long while.

My friends and I had a. . .Deal, of sorts, going on with our school.

They knew that we ran a protection business, in exchange for watching over the school free of charge, we only have to take a test once a month to make sure we knew at least the basics of math/history etc.

It was a nice deal and it was sweet that they still wanted to make sure we were equipped to deal with the world.

We are lucky to have such good teachers. . .

Tossing the note away, I picked up the plate of bacon and toast with jelly, sitting down to eat it at the counter, the silence of the house helping me clear my mind a bit as I thought some things over.

Felix stays. . .He's caused me a lot of hassle but he didn't mean to. . .I can endure such hassle, he is sweet.

Edward is a no. I do not trust him. I do not care that I have not interacted with him beyond a few words. I reserve the right to be biased.

Chase is also a no. He has hurt me more than once. . .I expect others to hurt me but I doubt that's healthy in a relationship.

Mr. Fake name Seth Baker is a mystery. I do not like that he failed to protect Felix but in the end it was not really his fault, I will wait to decide until I have more information. . .

Finishing off my last bite, I checked my phone to see multiple texts from Felix, making a small smile twitch at my lips as I read his last two.

'You okay? Did you get home safe? Why aren't you responding?'

'I'm sorry, I just read the time, I hope you have sweet dreams! Love you!'

He very much stays.

As I was reading over his message for a second time, my phone started to buzz with multiple texts coming in.

Upon opening the group chat my friends and I were in, I wasn't instantly bombarded by 'Happy birthday!' wishes from my friends, drawing my attention up to the date.

In all the chaos, between getting shot, finding my soulmates and having a mini war with most of said soulmates. . .Time sorta. . .Just got away from me.

'Dude! You wanna head down to the laser tag arena and play a round with us?'

'Hey if he says yes I call dibs on his team!'

'Hey no! We draw straws for who's on who's team like always!'

I smiled fondly as I read over their light-hearted arguments from my friends before switching to my texts with my boyfriend.

'Good morning, I hope you slept well' I sent to him before putting my phone down, moving to go do the dishes as I waited for his response.

A few moments later, when I was setting the dishes up to dry, my phone started to ring quietly, drawing me away from my task at hand.

Oh! Do I get to talk with him instead? That'd be nice.

Glancing at my phone, I was instead met with a seemingly random phone number instead of my boyfriend's name.

Guess not then. . .

Sighing, I turned back to my task at hand, listening as my phone rung out, not bothering to even decline the call, figuring it not worth the effort.

There was silence for a moment. . .Then the same number called back yet again.

. . .Now I'm curious.

It was most likely just a wrong number. . .But still, I was in a good mood and I was pleasantly intrigued. . .Maybe I'd get a story from it.

Picking up the call, I pressed it to my ear, using my shoulder to hold it in place as I continued to do the dishes.

''Hello?'' I questioned quietly, curious to see what this call was about.

'''Is this Ashton Hill?''' A familiar voice quietly questioned, making me freeze in place at the sound of his voice.

. . .Curious indeed. . .

''Speaking. And you are?'' I questioned back, having a feeling I knew damn well who this was.

'''Seth Baker, I do believe you dubbed me 'Mr.fake name'?''' The other man murmured back, amusement tinting his voice at the latter half of his reply.

Yup. . .It's who I thought. . .

''Oooh now I remember. . .I stand by my previous statement.'' I declared, a bit curious how he'd react to my taunt.

A soft, deep chuckle reached my ear from the other side of the phone.

He took that really well. . .That is a good sign, we shall have to see if that reaction is an outlier. . .

''Curious Mr. Fake name, how and why did you get my number?'' I questioned because I damn well didn't call him last time.

'''Right to business? Very well, I got your number from Chase's phone from the last time you called him. As to why. . .That is a bit more complicated''' The man murmured, his voice dropping to a serious, no non-sense tone that made me instinctively straighten my posture a bit.

'''It has come to my attention that you and Chase have been fighting. Chase has informed me that you were allegedly the one to start the riots. . .Scare off my key witness and broke Edward's masterpiece.''' The man continued, nearly drawing an exhausted sigh from me.

Not again. . .

'''He has further alleged that you are the one who drove Felix away from us with lies due to hate. . .I wish for us to have a civil sit down to discuss these allegations, get both sides of the story and hopefully either clear the air or come to an agreement''' Seth finished explained, making me blink dumbly at all the. . .Posh. Words he was using.

''. . .Where and when do you want to meet?'' I asked quietly, just. . .My brain taking a moment to compute all of this.

'''Tomorrow, after five in the whispering willow park, if you have no protests of course''' Seth offered, his offer. . .Reasonable.

''Should be good. . .I'll let Felix know'' I responded slowly, considering how I'd bring this up with my boyfriend who has a damn good reason to not want to see them.

This. . .Is an unexpected but not unwelcome turn of advents. . .

----------------------------------------------------------------

>:D Ha. Worse cliffhanger! Also, as I've been saying so many times. . .Seth is reasonable :)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen