Chapter 20:

Forest time for Ashton!

-------------------------------------------------------

The second I got home and my head hit the pillow, I was out like a light.

Soon enough, I was in the middle of some weird forest.

A recurring dream? And a lucid one at that. . .How. . .Interesting?

The forest around me looked pretty healthy, Minus a few decaying and or damaged trees, But then again, Forests never are perfectly healthy all the way through.

Curiously, I wandered deeper into the woods, Figuring I might as well explore until I wake later in the afternoon or evening.

Something felt off about the entire forest, The trees rustled with air, Sounding almost like someone breathing as I continued deeper.

As I walked, I was cautious not to touch the trees.

For some reason it just seemed unapologetically wrong to do so.

I hardly wanted to do something taboo or wrong while in this unusual place, So I followed my instincts as they had rarely lead me wrong in life.

Must say, Of all the dreams I've had, These ones are the most unusual. . .By dream standards of course. . .I don't see any melting trees or other normal dream fuckery. . .

Despite feeling like I was surrounded by people, It was pretty okay wandering about the woods.

I was thoroughly and pleasantly lost when I heard a small childlike giggle from the surrounding forest.

Thick brush grew around these trees, Keeping many of the oddly clustered trees far apart from each other, Like barricades keeping lovers apart.

Odd connection. . .Wonder where that came from. . .Also what's with the child giggling?

On one hand, An unseen child giggling in a seemingly endless forest was unnerving at best.

On the other hand though, An unseen child giggling sounded just like something I'd expect from a normal, Messed up dream. . . So I wasn't too concerned.

Yet.

Soon enough, A small little kid wandered into my sight in the distance.

They wore a fluffy light pastel yellow sweater and what I could best describe as light blue overalls covered in little white cloud designs.

Their feet were bare as they hopped about the forest, A small collection of flowers held in their tiny, Chubby little kid hands.

Some of them included: Bleeding hearts, purple hyacinths and a single daffodil, The rest were flowers I didn't know.

Odd combination. . .

The little child's attention turned to me, It's odd colored eyes staring right into mine.

I felt a lot like they were staring into my soul.

They had one milky golden eye and one dark, Seemingly black eye.

Their hair was a mess of solid white curls, Curls that fell lightly on the child's porcelain colored skin.

Albinism? Shouldn't their eyes be lacking pigment too then? 

''Hello there'' I murmured when the happy little kid made their way towards me.

''Hello Mister!'' They chirped out, Happy as only young kids can be.

''What are you doing out here buddy?'' I questioned, Forgetting that this was all a dream as I crouched down in front of the mini human.

''I was looking for some trees!'' They explained, As if it was the most logical thing in the world.

I hummed slightly, Nodding along.

''Will you help me find the trees?'' The kid asked, Tilting their head to the side as they spoke.

Oh boy. . .

''Well. . .Is that the tree you're looking for?'' I questioned, Pointing to a tree nearby that had pretty flowers on it.

They seem to like flowers, That must be the tree they're looking for. . .

The kid looked towards the tree, A fond and loving smile forming on their face.

That's an odd reaction to seeing a group of four trees. . .

It was odd, Like the other trees here, But I was getting used to the trees growing oddly close in this place. . .

''No. . .That's not the one. . .Will you help me find it?'' They questioned again, Giving me what I could best describe as 'Puppy dog eyes'.

My heart softened at the look they were giving me, Making me unable to deny this polite little kid's request.

''You know what, Why not. . .Here, I'll carry you so you don't get thorns in your feet'' I offered, Holding out my arms in an invitation.

They happily climbed into my arms, Wrapping one arm little arm around my neck, Their chubby little hand tightly clutching their collection of flowers.

A small part of me adored little kids, Their sweet, Kind view of the world making some of my faith in humanity return.

Protecting little kids was actually what started my gang. . .Many of the other teens joining my gang as a way of thanks for me protecting some little kid they care about, Be they siblings, Cousins or in one case, Parents to the kids.

So, I was more than content assisting one in their silly little adventure, So long as I could assure they weren't harmed.

With those intentions in mind, I made my way further into the forest, The little kid held in my arms jabbering on about how cool trees were as we walked.

I listened with amused fondness, Encouraging them with quiet 'Oh?'s' and 'You don't say!'.

Eventually, We came upon five trees that seemed to strike a chord within me.

''That's them! Those are the trees!'' the kid said excitedly, Squirming out of my arms as they spoke.

''I mean no offence, But they look just like at least thirty other trees we have passed'' I pointed out, Curious why these ones were so special.

''They don't look like the others to me. . .All of them are special to me, Each and every tree. . .I've watched them grown from saplings. . .Grow closer or apart. . .Wither despite my best attempts to save them. . .Grow strong and stunning even when the world tries to crush them. . .'' The kid murmured fondly, Speaking like a proud parent would about their kids.

 Turning my attention back to the trees, I studied them, Looking for what was so unique about them.

Three of the trees were clustered close together, Their roots and branches intertwined. . .One smaller tree with bright amber leaves was between the tree cluster and another tree that had grown leaning far from the others, As if it were trying to avoid inter twinging with them.

How odd. . .

--------------------------------------------------------

:) The guardian has taken on yet another form

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen