Chapter 24: Something

Mm, Chapter

-------------------------------------------------------------

Slowly I sat up, Looking around at the forest.

Well. . .At least I know a bit more about this uncanny place. . .

Pushing myself to my feet, I looked around, Trying to spot which way I was supposed to go.

Every story I read about this place was slightly different, But there were a few things that stayed the same for all of them.

One, They'd wake up in a forest with no sign how they got there.

Two, There'd be something or someone that will beckon them deeper into the woods until they'd come upon some trees that stand out from the rest.

And finally, The slightly less common third thing, There'd be an animal, Or a being with odd eyes that'll interact with them at some point.

I didn't see anything right away, But eventually, I spotted a small trail of flowers.

Remembering the child had flowers last time I was here, I figured following them was a good enough guess.

And so I did, All the while being careful to not touch any of the trees.

I didn't need to read anything to tell me I shouldn't mess with them. But a lot of people reported trying to touch the other trees and feeling the sudden urge to retch or worse, Stabbing pain and other signs of discomfort.

It was difficult, Seeing as there were a lot of tree clusters here.

Eventually though, I made it to what appeared to be the end of the flower trail.

It wasn't the cluster of trees I had expected to see.

Instead, It was a clearing. . .A clearing with a giant and clearly old willow tree in the middle of it.

Well that's unexpected. . .Haven't read about this. . .

Cautiously, I approached it, Unsure if I was allowed to touch it or not.

I didn't feel any unease near it, So hesitantly, I pushed the large, Drooping branches aside to step under it's protective shade.

Sitting beneath the tree, Leaning up against the bark was the child from before, It's mis-matched eyes trained on orbs, Glowing orbs that were floating about under the tree's protection, Like stars speckled in a sky.

Slowly, I moved to join the kid, Sitting down next to them.

''You're not a child. . .Are you. . .'' I murmured, It wasn't so much a question as it was a statement.

The child. . .Being. . .Whatever they are, Just smiled serenely at that, A fondness in their eyes.

''No I am not. . .I am older than this universe. . .Yet younger than the youngest of you humans'' They murmured back, Their back to the willow tree behind both of us.

I hummed quietly in thought, Looking up at the floating orbs above.

That's a non answer. . .

''Some people say you're a god. . .Others say you're the devil. . .'' I mused, Watching as a new orb slowly blinked into sight, Doing a little twirl before joining a small group of two other orbs.

''I am neither a god nor a mortal. . .Not a devil or an angel'' They responded cryptically, Watching the orbs as well.

Yet another non answer.

''What are you then. . .If you don't mind me asking'' I questioned, Tilting my head slightly as I spoke.

''I have been called the guardian by many, However. . .There is no word to describe what I am as a being. . .I am one but also many'' They explained, Their answer just as cryptic as the last.

''. . .Guardian of what?'' I questioned, Dropping the last line of questioning as it was clearly leading me no where.

No point in asking questions I won't get real answers to. . .

They tilted their head, Considering their answer for a moment.

''I guard your kind and the unnatural bond formed by soulmarks. . .I do my best to guide your kind while you all dream, I watch over everyone from their first breath to their very last. . .I protect the bond between soulmates and do my best to help those who need it'' They slowly explained, Reaching up as they spoke to gently pull an orb away from the others, Setting it beside a duller orb.

''That's a lot for one person to do. . .'' I murmured, Glancing towards the trees that surrounded the giant willow.

''Indeed it is. . .But it brings me joy. . .Lots of joy to see your people grow and change. . .Adapting to what life throws at them. . .Sure some wither away, Unable to take what comes their way. . .But they do their best all the while, Even when it doesn't seem like it to them. . .'' The being beside me explained, Giving me a pointed look while they spoke.

I chuckled quietly, Looking down at my hands.

''Some say you're evil. . .A wretched spirit that haunts humanity for our sins. . .Other say quite the opposite'' I pressed on, Wanting answers.

''Your kind views so many things in black and white. . .Despite so few things fitting in such a narrow frame. . .The world isn't two shades. . .Nor is life. . .You'll find it's easier to understand things when you view them as the whole spectrum of colors, Not just the beginning and end ones'' They whispered, Their tone slightly chiding.

''You don't give very concise answers. . .You know that?'' I chuckled out, Looking back up to the slowly bobbing orbs.

''The questions you've asked are hardly worthy of concise answers. . .'' They retorted with a smile.

Sighing, I closed my eyes, Thinking for a moment.

The being remained quiet, Letting me think.

''Why have you brought me here? Is there a reason?'' I asked, Opening my eyes and turning my attention to them as I spoke.

They hummed, A small smile on their face.

''There is a reason. . .But if I just tell you it you won't work for it. . .Then it won't mean enough to you for you to do what's needed'' They explained, Drawing a quiet groan from me.

''Should've know you wouldn't give me a real answer'' I sighed out, Earning myself a small laugh.

''Just because it's not the answer you wanted doesn't mean it's not a real answer. . .You'll figure it out in time, Keep your mind and heart open, Things should become clear then'' They murmured as my vision slowly started to fade, The dream ending.

I was already halfway gone by then, Missing the last bits of what they had to say.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:D Just a nice long chat with Them

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen