Chapter 38:

:) Sweet-er chapter before the drama

-------------------------------------------------------

It was early in the morning when I limped myself home, my legs, back and sides hurting.

I got the bleeding to stop though. . .That's a good thing. . .

My front door was well within my sight when someone shouted at me all of a sudden.

''Boy! Get outta the street!! You're going to get hurt!!'' A familiar voice shouted at me, drawing my attention over to my elderly neighbor, Mrs.Witherbrow.

''Morning Mrs.Witherbrow!'' I weakly shouted out over to her, turning to weakly wave as I covered my stomach with my other hand.

''Boy get over here!'' She snapped out, slowly getting up, leaning heavily on her front porch's railing as she did so.

Confused, I made my way over to the elderly woman, worried that something was wrong with her or her half deaf husband - Charles - as it wasn't every day that she'd order me over to her house.

This is already a long day. . .Looks like it's about to get much longer. . .

Stepping up onto the porch, I was immediately grabbed by the elderly woman and ushered inside, more or less dragging me over to their table where her husband was dishing up some breakfast for the both of them.

''Ah! Morning Ashton!'' Charles shouted out, a pleasant if a bit confused smile on his face as his wife more or less pushed me down into one of the chairs around the table.

There were five chairs around the table despite Charles and Eleanor being the only ones living here now, the two of them couldn't bring themselves to get rid of their other dead soulmates' chairs after all.

''Charles! Look at him! Look at the boy's poor neck!'' Mrs. Witherbrow. . .Eleanor, shouted out, pointing at me as I realized I was no longer wearing the turtleneck I had started to day wearing, leaving the ring of bruises on my throat on full display.

Right. . .Changed into my uniform. . .Damn it. . .Gonna be hard to slip past my Dad with this on my throat.

''Boy what happened to you? Did you get mugged?'' The elderly man questioned worriedly as he moved the now cooked eggs off the stove, slowly making his way over to me as he spoke, his movements a bit labored without his cane.

''Oh no no, It's nothing'' I tried to assure, knowing that the two were a fair bit protective of me as the child they and their soulmates used to watch over.

''That ain't nothing! Charles, you talk some sense into this kid! I'm going to go get that cream the nice nurse told us to buy'' Eleanor ordered as she made her way deeper into their home, leaving the 'men to talk'.

Swallowing nervously, I shifted about a bit in the wooden chair, wincing as my movement caused a stab of pain from my new wounds.

My throat wasn't hurting too much. . .It just felt like I had a sore throat from a cold or something, it wasn't really too bad.

But telling that to the two of them would not go over well.

So I just held still as Mrs.Witherbrow returned and started to apply some medicine grade menthol product to my bruised throat, soothing even the most minimal amount of pain.

All the while, Eleanor muttered about 'who would do this to our poor boy!' and 'this town is going to hell in a hand basket it is!'.

''Who did do this to you? It ain't right that they hurt you. Was it one of those thugs that sometimes hang around your house?'' Charles asked as he went to dish up the eggs, plating it on three plates instead of the two he had out before.

My friends. . .

''No. . .It was actually. . .One of my soulmates. . .'' I explained quietly, the expression on Eleanor's face darkening in fury upon that statement.

''Dear, why don't you step out for a moment'' Charles murmured to his wife, gently taking her hand and kissing the back of her palm upon seeing her expression, giving her an excuse to step away and compose herself.

Charles, Mercy and Andrew were the most level headed ones in their relationship, always leaving Eleanor and Alexander to be the ones to fly off the handle upon hearing someone hurt or disrespected the ones they care about.

As soon as my sweet, elderly, white haired neighbor stepped out of the room, Charles let out a soft sigh, resting his now clasped hands in his lap as he leveled me with a look, looking all seventy three years of his age.

''Did you. . .Consent? To this?'' Charles asked, his tone hesitant, like a grandfather who just found out his grandchild is the complete opposite of what he thought they were.

At the smallest shake of my head, I watched as the elderly man closed his eyes tightly, pinching at the bridge of his nose.

''Alright, your father and I will deal with this. . .Did you file a police report?'' Mr.Witherbrow - Charles - sighed out, looking at me like a loving family member looks upon one of their hurt kin.

So many people around me care about me. . .Not the ones left to me by destiny. . .But those who have chosen to love me.. .It was their choice to love. . .Not fate's. . .

Smiling sadly, I shook my head slowly, placing my hands in my lap as I did so.

''The one who did this to me is a co- police officer'' I explained softly, watching his eyes widen slightly before narrowing.

My friends. . .Risking their lives for my revenge. . .

''Not for long.'' The elderly man growled out softly, a hand reaching out to hold onto one of mine with a tight and comforting grip.

My neighbors. . .Concerned about me and angry at a mysterious soul who hurt me. . .

Slowly, I pulled my hand out of his.

My father, who has always done the best for both of us. . .

''Thank you sir. . .But I'd like to fight this battle on my own right now. . .He hurt me. . .I want to take my revenge with my own two hands. . .I would love advice though. . .If you don't mind'' I murmured, the confusion on the old man's face blooming into fond amusement.

''Ah how Eleanor and Alexander have rubbed off on you, come, breakfast is getting cold, ELEANOR! LOVE! COME BACK IN!'' Charles shouted out as the two of us settled down to eat some slightly cold eggs and toast.

I have the people who have chosen to love me and who I have chosen to love around me. . .I'll be alright. . .No matter what comes my way. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:) Just a sweet chapter of the elderly neighbors worrying over their favorite neighbor.

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen