Chapter 23: Small chat

:)

---------------------------------------------------------

All. I wanted to do this morning. Was follow my doctors probably bad advice. . .

And yet, By the evening, I was on my way to work, Having spent the entire morning very tensely trying to cheer up and assure Felix that he's done nothing wrong.

It took. All. Fucking. Morning.

To say I was pissed with Chase and his boyfriends would be an understatement.

I'm gonna throttle that man next time I see him. . .I thought I was leaving Felix in good hands! Not ones that'd make him think he's the anti-Christ just for being someone's soulmate!

My co-worker had given me a concerned look when I stormed in for my shift, Still seething and quietly grumbling to myself.

It took a while, But I calmed down and fell back into the normal swing of things.

I felt a little uneasy back in the store again, But I didn't let that effect my work.

After picking back up my snake bites from behind the counter, The same snake bites I had forgotten there in the whole 'Haze of getting fucking shot', I got to work stocking shelves.

Luckily, My co-Worker today was Jane, A very hard working woman who actually did her job, Meaning I didn't have to cover for her or anything.

That allowed a few of the hours to pass by pretty easily, She'd handle most of the job up front, Manning the cash register and dealing with customers, Allowing me to just re-stock stuff and clean up messes in peace.

It was nice. . .And like every nice thing, It came to an end when I was least expecting it to.

I was up front, Stocking the little lung cancer sticks in their protective, Lock-able, Plexi glass case, When the door let out it's little chime sound.

Or well, Something close to it's chime sound, The batteries in the electronic overhead door bell were starting to run out, Making it have a rather. . .Unique sound.

Looking up, I expected to see our normal brand of tired and or intoxicated shoppers.

But no. . .Of course not because that would make sense and why should the world make any fucking sense?.

No, Instead, I froze in place as I came face to face with the very man who shot me.

He and I just stared at each other, I unable to move, And him seemingly unwilling.

I really shouldn't be afraid, After all, The last time I got shot, I made friends with the person who shot me.

Granted, That was Mia. . .And I was trying to teach her how to safely unload a gun when she shot me in my foot, But still.

Despite that, I found myself unable to move, My throat tightening as my body tried to initiate it's fight or flight response but ultimately failing.

He and I just stared for what felt like an eternity, When finally, The door dinged again, And he looked away.

''Officer'' I heard him mutter tensely before he traveled deeper into the building, Allowing me to take a few very large breaths.

''You okay there Ash?'' The very familiar voice of Chase questioned, Drawing my attention to the worried cop.

 I didn't say anything in response to his question, Just gave him a glare, Which seemed to confuse him even further.

''Ash? Something the matter?'' Chase asked, Moving to stand right in front of me, The counter the only thing between us now as he took off his hat.

''I am never. Letting you guys hang out with Felix again.'' I hissed out sternly, Narrowing my eyes as I spoke.

That was clearly not the answer the man across from me was expecting.

''What? Hang on a moment. First of all, You can't do that, You're not his guardian. Secondly, Why?'' Chase asked, Looking even further confused.

''Why? Because your boyfriend. Edward. Told Felix that you lot didn't want him. I had to spend my entire morning assuring him he wasn't a terrible person.'' I grumbled out coldly, Giving him a annoyed look the entire time.

He blinked slowly before frowning, Giving me a stern look.

''Ash. I know you don't want to be part of our relationship, But that gives you no right to try and damage our already existing one. It's rather immature of you.'' Chase chastised, Falling quiet as the man who had shot me approached the counter, A small six pack of beer held in his hands.

''Hey Jane'' I started to say, About to call her over when Chase cleared his throat.

''You patrol officer's okay with you drinking so soon after being released?'' Chase questioned, Earning a grumble and a pissed off glare from the shorter man.

He huffed before storming out of the gas station, A scowl on his face.

That was unexpected. . .

I watched him go before turning my attention back to my supposed soulmate.

Said man just put his hat back on and left without another word.

Why can't conversations ever be easy. . .Like, 'Oh hey, Your boyfriend was tormenting someone, What are you going to do about that?' 'Oh sorry, I'll go have a word with him about all of this'

Sighing, I carried the case of beer back to where it belonged before wandering around the gas-station, Obsessively cleaning to keep my mind distracted.

Eventually, My shift came to an end as the sun stained the horizon.

I was exhausted. Having been unable to get a nap thanks to Felix being over all morning.

Trudging home, I was very tempted to just lay down on a bench and sleep.

But, I rather not have my organs stolen today, So I kept trudging on, Eventually making it home and flopping down onto my bed.

I didn't bother changing out of my work clothes, Too tired to care.

Instead, I just pulled out my phone to just read until I was tired. 

You know what, Maybe it'd be fun to try and find out what that lucid dream I had meant. . .

A few articles in and I was still tired, But very uneasy.

And wouldn't you know it, That was when I finally drifted off, Reading about demons and angels and a seemingly endless forest that multiple people have seen.

--- ---

Opening my eyes, I was once again greeted by a canopy of green.

Well fuck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact, Sleep deprivation is a form of torture!

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen