Chapter 6: Work

Time to meet another soulmate or something. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

Stumbling in through the employee entrance, I paused to lean against a wall, Catching my breath as I reached a shaking hand up to push my hair out of my face.

In my hurry to get to work on time, I had stumbled out into the street and nearly gotten hit by a cab.

Let me just say, That is one way to very quickly wake up.

I couldn't stay and recover my wits though thanks to the fact my 'co-worker' had spotted me.

''Ay. Ashy, I'm going on break'' Bella snapped out at me, A not doubt stolen beer can held loosely in her hand as she walked past me.

Rolling my eyes, I flipped her off as I tugged slightly at my work issued hat.

She was a jerk, She would only just barely do her job if she was forced to, Most of the time she'd just do less then the bare minimum and just go on break before she'd have to deal with the consequences.

Sighing, I looked down the small and slightly messy aisles that made up this gas station.

Sure enough, The cans of pop she was supposed to restock the fridges with were just sitting on the floor in the box they arrived in.

Not cooled off. Not put away, Just lying about on rat level.

 Sighing, I rubbed at my eyes before grumbling and setting to work putting the bottles of pop away in the fridge.

--- Time skip ---

Standing back up, I pulled one of the leaking cans from the fridge as I went back to the counter, Taking my place behind it as I held the cold yet slightly sticky can up to my head.

I set it down in the employee bathroom where the mess from it would be contained.

While there, I carefully took out my snake bites, Putting the metal rings in a tiny little bag I kept in my pocket.

I had seen a few co-workers nearly get their piercings get ripped out by angry entitled people when they didn't get what they wanted when they wanted it.

Stepping back out to stand behind the counter, I made sure the shiny silver hoops were secure in their bag in my pocket before looking back up at the empty store.

I could see people filling up their cars with gas out at the pumps, But I wasn't responsible for watching over the pumps so I really didn't care too much.

It didn't take long for a slightly hung over group of teens to wander in, Their. . .Hopefully sober friend, Still out at the pump.

Keeping my eyes on them the best I could, I slowly started to stand up a bit straighter.

Drunk people were the bane of my existence.

Some were mean sure, Those were the easy ones.

Others are super clumsy when drunk and tend to utterly make a mess of the store.

Still others end up throwing up everywhere and some just randomly pass out.

The worst of all of them though were the depressed drunks.

I. Hate. Dealing with depressed, Suicidal drunks.

I never know what to do when one comes in, I always end up panicking and overreacting.

They always seem so down trodden, I never want to be the reason someone didn't get the help they needed, Which usually results in me calling the fire department to come and pick up said depressed drunk and take them to the hospital.

I wasn't sure if they were supposed to handle suicidal people, But, The fire department here were willing to help out and they were much more approachable in my opinion compared to the police.

Thankfully, These were the clumsy, Stare off into space ones.

The sound of a glass bottle breaking followed by a rather loud 'Oh fuck' made me grimace slightly, Already knowing it was going to be a long night.

Picking up one of the 'wet floor' signs, I carried it over to where the broken glass and pop was piled up and pooling on the floor.

I'd have to clean that up when my co-worker finally comes back to watch the counter.

She's not gonna do shit tonight I bet. . .

Letting out an annoyed sigh, I headed back to the counter, One of the drunks already waiting there with a bag of chips and some sort of over caffeinated pop that no doubt tasted revolting.

There was the sound of the door opening again before the store fell into relative silence, The only sound being that of the people remaining in the gas station and the non copyrighted music that was always playing quietly in the background.

''Ya. . .Uh, Check this shit out?'' One of the drunk men asked as he and his friends finished placing their snacks and drinks on the counter.

The other three drunk teens standing behind him.

''Alex, Say sorry to him for me'' One of them whispered to the one who was facing me.

I arched an eyebrow as I finished scanning their items, The one who seemed to have taken charge using his card to pay before handing the snacks back to the other teens.

''Sorry about something Jase did'' 'Alex' said after finishing grabbing the small group's items and heading for the door.

Just as they were about to walk out the door, Two officers came in, Nearly running right into the group.

Oh fucking hell. Just what I needed. Cops.

One of them paused, Watching as the teens stumbled before hurrying past, Trying to keep their heads down.

She leaned over and whispered something to her partner before following the teens outside as the brown haired blue eyed officer approached me.

''Hey, Have you seen this man?'' Blue eyes asked, Holding a police sketch up for me to see.

I recognized the man on it almost instantly.

He was well known as the second in command to the second largest gang in this city.

''. . .No.'' I snapped out curtly, Setting to work cleaning imaginary dirt off of the counter to hopefully discourage him from asking again.

He didn't take the not very subtle hint.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And next chapter will be with the cop and Ashton only. . . Time to see if he's a good one or a bad one. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen