Chapter 10: Gaps

Ha! Update!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I kept drifting in and out of consciousness as the days and nights blurred together.

My wound had gotten a slight infection, Which the doctors instantly started treating with some kind of medicine that really fucked with my brain, I had no idea what day it was. . .Or if it even was day.

I remembered the doctors explaining what they were doing, What they were giving me and what type of wound I had.

But my memories right now were blurred by the cocktail of medicine they had me on right now.

My dad was always here when the doctors needed to explain something to me, I remembered that clearly enough.

He and my closest gang members had visited me seemingly every day.

Again, I had no idea how many days had passed though, So they might have visited me more. . .Or less.

Another thing I remembered clearly was my manager stopping by to visit.

They informed me that all of this was covered by medical insurance and that I'd be able to take a week or two off on medical leave.

So it was somewhat nice knowing I wouldn't have to go into debt because of something out of my control. . .

Thanks a lot, Non-existent American healthcare. . .

--- Time skip ---

Six days, I had been in the hospital for six days before the medicine cocktail I was on was finally let up enough that I could be aware of my surroundings for more than half a second.

Despite all the lost time, I was somewhat grateful that I was out of it for so long.

My bandaged bullet wound wasn't really hurting anymore, Not to mention, Movement didn't make me keel over in pain now.

Which was a good thing.

Gotta say. . .Not gonna miss the feeling of white hot pain shooting through my body with every breath. . .

I was slowly walking through the hallways, A kind nurse following behind me as I retrained my muscles for moving instead of laying still for days on end when my dad found me, A strikingly familiar officer following close behind him.

''Ashton, You're not in pain?'' Dad checked, Instantly moving to my side, Taking the place of the nurse as she backed off slightly.

''Mr. Hill, If you'd like to speak with your son I'll have to ask you and your guest to return with him to his room, He is just getting back into walking and it is best if he is not strained or stressed so early on'' The nurse informed dad as I started to lean slightly on my dad's offered arm.

My body was starting to feel a bit sore, Most clearly, The hopefully mostly healed bullet wound.

Dad easily picked up on my forming discomfort and started to help me back to the room I had been stuck in for the past six days.

The officer, Chase, Followed dutifully behind us, Not saying a word to either of us as of yet.

Once I was tiredly seated on the bed and the door to my thankfully empty room was closed, Chase turned to face me.

''Firstly, It's good to see you're doing better'' He started as dad sat across from me in one of the provided chairs.

Sighing, I ran my fingers through my hair, Pulling the long strands away from my face before I cut off his next attempt at starting polite small talk.

I didn't really like small talk normally, And with the situation I was in right now, I felt even less inclined to humor the small talk.

''Thank you. For helping me when I was shot. But you're not here to check up on me so what is it you needed?'' I questioned, Cutting straight to the reason he was here.

It was clear by his body language and his actions that he wasn't here for just a normal friendly visit, For crying out loud, He was still wearing his cop uniform and all that.

He blinked, Seemingly caught off guard by that before he gave me a sympathetic tight lipped smile.

''Right. . .You're probably still not feeling the best. . .The man who assaulted you is currently being released on bail'' Chase informed me, Making me close my eyes tightly, My hand straying up to rub slightly at my temples.

Of course he is. . .Knowing my luck. . .That sounds about right. . .

 ''His lawyer managed to get him a deal so long as he rats out two of the high ranking members in the gang he works for'' Chase continued, Sympathy no long tinging his voice. . .The tone of every word he spoke sounded like he was apologizing by now. 

Slowly, I opened my eyes, Lowering my hand as I looked up at the blue eyed man who was watching me with a rather complex expression.

I couldn't figure out what that emotion looked to be. . .And based upon the way he was nervously shifting from foot to foot, I doubt he knew what emotion he was feeling either.

''I'm very sorry, But. . .He's back on the street again'' Chase muttered, Softening his voice as he spoke.

He didn't sound cheerful anymore. . .He didn't sound teasing either. . .Those so far, Up until now, Were the only emotions I had really seen him show.

''It's not your fault, You weren't the judge who pardoned him or the lawyer who fought for him. . .'' I muttered quietly, Dully.

Sure this sucked, And I was annoyed and a tiny bit scared, But it wasn't this poor officer's fault that any of this happened, It'd be cruel and wrong to place blame on him.

''Well. . .I'm afraid to say that's not all the news I have for you. . .'' He said as he reached up, Taking his police cap off as he approached the bed with measured strides.

I arched an eyebrow, A little worried but un-bothered seeing as If anything were to happen, I'd be unable to do much anyways.

Surrender to fate. . .

''May I?'' He questioned, The odd emotion in his voice as he held his hand out over my arm.

Where is this going?

----------------------------------------------------------

Mmmm, Brief little bit before interesting things start. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen