98. A Lover's Dream

Flickering in the darkness was a dream of a lonely child.

In the empty, cold darkness, you were forced to relive the lives you lived.

You wondered through the memories, feeling numb and cold.

Ah, right. You looked at your first life and at the pitiful child who blamed herself.

'I'm an unlovable child.'

The growing young girl who had shut her heart.

The child's crushed heart made you avert your eyes.

The sadness of that time weighed heavily on your heart.

Memories shifted and the warmth of your second life gently embraced you.

Fortune must have pitied you because the next life you lived, you had loving parents and a strong bond with your little sister. A life where you weren't hated or shunned but loved and cherished...

That too was snatched away from you when you were dragged back to the hateful life you had given up.

You turned away.

'I'm truly cursed.'

'But,'

'I have to protect them this time.'

With a hollow expression, you numbly went along as memories continued like a flowing river.

You watched yourself struggle in desperation and fall in despair at the smallest failure. It repeated again and again. Yet you refused to give up. Trading your life to protect those you love. You couldn't let the past repeat itself

You couldn't watch your dear ones getting hurt again.

At last, you won.

'I'm tired.'

'I'm really tired. '

'I want to rest.'

Your body slowly submerged in depths of icy darkness once again as the memories faded away. And you gladly welcomed it.

Your drifting consciousness slowly floated and scattered.

'(Y/n).'

A soft, murmuring voice floated into the stillness of the world.

'(Y/n).'

A beautiful voice called your name once more.

The voice full of longing and desperation persisted.

You covered your ears and turned away.

'I'm tired. Please. Let me rest.'

You felt a shift in your surroundings and slowly opened your eyes. You were no longer in the depths of unending darkness but surrounded by rays of a moonlit night and a field of vibrant flowers, standing before was a woman you recognized.

"Celestria..."

The woman smiled. Oddly enough something about her had changed. She looked at peace like the burden she carried was lifted.

"Won't you listen to that voice? He's waiting for you. Go back to him."

"I can't. The deal-"

Celestria shook her head gently, and let out a sigh, and her hand came to pat your cheek with maternal affection.

"There's no need for that."

You looked at her with a confused expression.

"What do you mean?"