87. Ominous Peace

The soft rays of the sun hit the room and brightened it up to the point you squirmed to get away, to stay a little longer in the comfort of sleep. Into the comfort and warmth that was wrapped around you.

“Hmm?“

Your eyes fluttered open, blinking sleepily as you groped the warm hardness spooning you. Confused, you blinked, mind going blank as you came face to face with someone's bare chest.

Your sleep vanished in an instant.

You jumped back. At least tried to. There was a stronghold coiled around your midsection, keeping you in place.

“Hey—!“

You looked up and for a single moment your breathing hitched and your struggling stopped.

Claude. He looked so peaceful. So endearing. His golden hair strewn messily on the pillow, mouth parted slightly, noise twitching cutely now and then gave off an untroubled innocent feel, unlike his stiff hard-to approach aura.

You grumbled when he curled up against you, his bare chest squished against your face, legs tangled with yours, and his large body spooning you, with sleepy little kisses pressed on your crown.

Why was he doing this first thing in the morning?! This is what I get after I help him sleep?!

Frustrated, you pinched his chest. That was enough to let him go of you with a pained hiss. He cracked open one eye and let out a grunt.

You sat up and scowled at his clueless, cranky expression. “Don't give me that look. You were—wow! Not again!“

Ignoring what you had to say, he closed his eyes, wrapped his arms around you, buried his face in your stomach, and like a stubborn cat that has found his favorite spot, he refused to budge an inch.

“Wha—C'mon! Dammit.“

You wrestled to get him off you. With him letting out sleepy disgruntled noises while yours were of frustration. By the end of it you were panting, having failed to get him off and he was looking at you with half-lidded sleepy eyes, brows furrowed slightly, still cluelessly blinking. Like he didn't feel any of your feeble efforts at all. And didn't know why the hell you were trying to get him off.

“You..can you please get off?“ You said looking down at him with twitching eyes. 

Again ignoring you which made you huff in exasperation, he focused on the blue drop pendant dangling from your neck.

You hadn't taken it off. For some inexplicable reason, it felt precious to you. Something you treasured a lot. Even with no memories, you knew it was close to your heart. So you kept it on.

And looking at his shifting expression, it seems important for him too.

You cleared your throat and he stared at you. You forced a stiff smile. “Uh, my lap is not your pillow. So can you get off?“

“Hmm...“

Claude let out a low hum, his gaze dazed and half awake as a small lazy smile formed on his lips. He raised his hand, his fingertips softly tracing across your cheek. You parted your lips to tell him off but you froze when he gripped the back of your neck and brought you down, inches away from his lips.

He still looked out of it. Like the sleep hasn't completely left him and he was doing this like an instinct. Like a habit, he developed over years.

You swallowed at the tingling sensation and hurriedly said. “Are you not awake ye—Mphm!“

You felt lightheaded as he kissed you slowly, softly, his thumb gently drawing circles on your cheek as he cupped your face. Strangely, you had an odd desire to give in and melt into his touch.