7. A Mother's Love

As the sun dipped down the mountains, Nora returned from the capital.

When she reached home, she saw a panicked Iseka talking to a familiar person.

"Pierce?"

She was a bit confused. As she got near, their conversation made her heart sink.

There was only one reason Iseka would panic.

Immediately, she ran for home. Her fears were confirmed when she saw the cabin was empty.

"No, no. My child, where is she?"

Nora staggered. Her heart raced with dread. Her eyes darted to the forest outside her window.

Was she too late?

Had the Witch taken her precious child away from her?

"No!" Nora shouted in fear, denying the horrific thought of losing her child.

Iseke reached her, panting in exhaustion from the running. She had seen Nora run and followed quickly.

"Don't panic, Nora. I'm sure the child's nearby somewhere," Iseka tried to assure the frightened mother.

"No," Nora clutched her head in fear, her eyes trembling nonstop. "You don't understand. I can't lose her, Iseka. My child... I was finally happy for once. I never felt more fulfilled. But now I'll lose all of it. I need to find her. Where did she go?"

Iseka frowned in concern. "Nora.."

"My baby... What if I never find her?" Nora shuddered. Dark thoughts surged through her mind like poison.

Just thinking about losing her child had her knees buckling and she fell hard on the ground. "My life will become meaningless again!"

"Don't be ridiculous. Calm down. She's fine wherever she is,"

Before Nora could burst out in tears, she heard a voice.

"Mom, you're back!"

She saw her child race towards them with a happy smile holding something. But she couldn't care less.

Her baby was fine. She was alright. She wasn't gone. She wasn't taken away from her.

Nora stood up on her shaky limbs and met her child midway. She dropped to her knees and hugged her while sobbing in relief. "You're fine!"

Beside her, Iseka let out a relieved sigh and glared at the confused child sternly. "Where were you, young lady? Did you forget what I'd said about staying still?"

The child let out a nervous laugh. "I went out to get flowers for both of you. You were upset so I thought they would help!"

Nora froze and so did Iseka.

"I wanted to find the best one so I went to the clearing near the stream. Behind the large tree, there are lots of beautiful flowers! They're all so pretty. I picked the best ones!"

"And?" Swallowing a lump, Iseka raised an eyebrow feeling the kid had more to say.

"I found a cute cat and lost track of time playing with it. Sorry. I didn't mean to worry you both."

Cat..?

Nora and Iseka finally noticed the cat perched on her shoulder. It was a simple white cat.

"You found that cat in the flower field?" Nora asked.

"Yes! Isn't he pretty?"

Nora looked over the cat in doubt. "I never saw any stray cats around. How did it get here?"