25. Irrational Fear

It's third day in palace. Nothing exciting happened after Claude finally became friends with you. He had to leave soon after saying he had classes.

You hadn't seen him since making your mood damp. Though Felix the ever loving sweetheart provided you with entertainment to fill up your boredom.

After you had bumped into him, he happily exclaimed how glad he was to see you settling in well. Oh the sweet kind boy.

When you stated your boredom, he advised you to go the Garden. To the Healers section which specifically was for trainees.

That elated you. And in your state of excitement you forget to tell Felix about your new friend. You swore to tell me later as you made your way to your destined place.

You wandered in the garden where all plants and herbs were grown. Amazed at its careful deligient condition.

There a few men clad in dirty clothes probably from working in the garden. You looked at the gardener who were bickering among themselves. Curious you went to them and found out the root of their argument.

They were trying to grow a rare flower that was wilting away before it could blossom.

You suggest them to use lukewarm water to soften the soil and make a warm base for the fragile flower.

They eagerly nodded, looking exhausted and tired. They seem desperate for any help which explains why listen to a kid advice.

You turn away to leave and explore the rest of the beautiful garden, waving off the gratitude of the grateful gardener only to smash into something hard.

Since when did a wall grew out of the path.

You were hit with a sense of deja vu.

"Are you hurt?" A hand stretched out to help you up.

"Oh no. It's fine. The soft ground broke my fall. You don't have to...." You trail off staring blankly at the tall figure.

Claude the golden hamster...?

Since when did Claude grow so tall. How the hell did he skipped the poverty and become a teenager in single day. And so tall at that. He looked twice your age. Maybe 16 or 17....?

The blonde looked at you, a polite smile on his lips. His sapphire eyes flickering over your body in worry.

"Did I hurt you badly? You took a strong fall there despite the soft ground." He said in polite time.

Realisation came to you like a lightening bolt.

The boy infront of you wasn't Claude. The voice, the tone everything was different. Even his face was more symmetrical when you looked closely.

That only meant one thing.

"You must be Claude's big brother!" You blurted out without thinking.

Blonde guy looked at you surprised. His polite smile almost twitched whereas his blue eyes glimmered in newfound curiosity and amusement.

Behind you the gardener gasp in horror, splattering incoherent words.

You look at them confused. What? Did you eat wrong mushroom?

"Your Highness!" A voice called out

You tilted your head. "Say what?"

You look the blonde guy only to be startled when he breaks out a grin, his eyes lightening up in mischief.

Oh, boy. Run. Danger. Red warning rang inside your brain. You spider sense went crazy.

Before you could, he grabbed your wrist and dragged you along with him. Running away from the frantic  guards.

You splutter out protest but he only grinned at you more.

Both of you stopped in the shades of tree. You panted like a dying fish while the culprit patiently waited for you to regain your breath with a grin that only spelt trouble.

Once your breathing becomes normal, you give him a weird look.

"Do you tend to randomly kidnap girls? Should I be worried for my life?" You asked him. "If that's the case then I'm not interested in dying."

Amused by your strange words, he snickered. "Goodness, No. Why would you think that I brought you here to kill you! I just wanted to know how you know my little brother is all."

You gave him another look. Silently judging his whole existence and his sanity.

"By dragging me away forcefully and interrogating me? I almost have a half mind to scream for help."

"At least you're honest." He laughed.

You didn't see what was so funny. You were dead serious.

You took a seat under the shade when he gestured you to. You made sure there was enough space between you and him.  You were ready to launch yourself into a sprint if the creep tried anything funny.

He looked slightly exasperated and amused when you gave him a look of distrust. Inching away every second.

You took in your surrounding. "Where are we?"

"It's the Palace Garden for the Prince. The backside of it. It's always been out secret hideout when I and Claude want to get away from the boring day and play." He turned his head other side.

You nodded. "Ah, I see." Something about the statement felt off. Robotic and practiced. And uncaring.

Shouldn't such childhood memory be endearing? Then why does he sound so indifferent about it.

Feeling his intense calculative gaze drill in you, you dare not look back. Their was nagging fear you couldn't understand. So you pretended to be invested in your surrounding.

Tall trees towered over you, providing shade from the sunrays. Your eyes flickered to the gate standing just few feet away.

Noting your curious state, he provided you answer. "That's our ancestors burial. The Royal graveyard. Most of the kings are buried there as a respectful gesture. It's our tradition passed on for generations."

What a ridiculous tradition?! You paled. Shivering, you gazed at the gated area in slight horror.

Great, you were just sitting duck waiting to be possessed by some creepy Ghost haunting around here. Just great.

"You look pale, little girl. You look like you just saw a ghost?" He chuckled, a amused glint in his blue eyes, as if he was laughing at inside joke.

"Let's not jinx it. Sheesh!"

The whole atmosphere felt ominous and his presence just adding to the discomfort.

"Can I go?" You asked politely. The discomfort and unreasonable fear making you awkwardly shuffle in your place. Something told you he wouldn't let you run off that easily not unless you satiate his curiosity.

You needed up your guards up. More than ever.

"How do you know my little brother?" He said smiling politely. Was it your imagination or you detected malice in his words.

You gave him stingy eyes for ignoring your words.

Claude hadn't said anything to him. That means he kept your meeting a secret for whatever reason. You weren't going to bust him.

"He helped me navigate when I got lost. This palace is pretty big afterall. Maybe next time you meet him, thank him for me. I didn't get to properly show my gratitude to him." You said the first thing that came to your mind.

This way Claude would get a heads-up that his brother aware of his little secret.

He gave you a intense look. You were surprised your skin didn't burnt away from its intensity.

"He voluntarily helped you?" He looked skeptical.

"Yes." You answer confidently. Lying was a feat you learnt when you broke your Mom's vase and blamed it on some random animal.

He looked at you the smile still plastered on his face. "Hmm. Interesting."

Something told you, you had just opened a can of horrid worms.