39. Unexpected Appearances

"You look fine. I'm glad to see you're doing good." Penelope smiled, tugging a loose strand behind her ear.

You were still frozen in shock. Why was Penelope here?

She looked expectantly at you and you realised that she was waiting for your answer.

"Ah, yeah. I'm totally good, I mean fine." You awkwardly smiled at her.

She next greeted Claude with a elegant, cutesy bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you, your highness. I'm Penelope Judith from Judith house and I'm (y/n) big sister. I hope I didn't intrude on you."

You watched amazed. Penelope was no longer cute, adorable but had become a elegant lady with well mannered etiquette. You wondered if Etiquette enforcer Rosalia trained her. You shuddered at the thought of going through same routine.

Claude raised a eyebrow looking indifferent. "I think you should know the answer to that. It's rude to barge in middle of a conversation."

Penelope flinched and you had to admit it was real cold of him and you were reminded of your own first --er second meeting with him.

"I'm deeply apologize. I was so happy to see my sister that I couldn't control myself. Please pardon my mistake." Penelope bowed and gave Claude puppy eyes stare.

You could only stare bewildered at her. Happy? Her? To see me? Did she eat something wrong?

Claude didn't even bat an eye at her cutesy act. "Just be careful next time. Not everyone will overlook it."

His demeanor went cold as he looked away from her in disinterest. Taking a step close to you when you shivered from the cold breeze.

"We should take it inside. It's getting cold." Claude said, watching goosebumps that raised on your neck and bare arm as you shivered again.

"Sure." Penelope visibly deflated and her smile faltered but she forced it back. Glancing between you and Claude with slightly narrowed eyes.

You all started to walk back to lobby. Penelope tried to walk beside Claude. But Claude immediately switched position to your right. Using you as a wall to keep distance between them.

You could only awkwardly glance at Penelope, feeling half amused and half confused. You were sure she didn't stink so why was Claude treating her like plague?

"It seem like it's going to rain." Penelope started conversationally as awkward silence prevailed after the stunt Claude pulled.

She looked at Claude but Claude continued looking forward, not answering.

You stepped up before the silence got more awkward. "Yeah, it does look like it. But I don't mind. Rain is nice."

"You like rain?" Claude questioned gazing at the gathering grey clouds then at you.

"Yep! I love it." You eagerly nodded. "I love it even more to sleep on the sound of raining. It's so calming. So relaxing and soothing!"

"Sorry to bust your bubble but it's not going to rain. The grey clouds are just false alarm."

You let out a disappointed sound. "Aww, I was looking forward to it."

Penelope feeling like a third wheel tried to hide her frustration but it was crystal clear on her face.

She forced a smile and tried to revert the topic on herself. "Seem like you're enjoying your life here, little sister. You never tried to contact us. It makes me sad that I couldn't meet you. Now we have time to bond and I want to talk all about it. My first debutante you missed it and I want to tell you all about it."