96. Mark Of Karma

Celestria stared at the distant edge of the forest where the portal was opened with a dim look. The constant cries of the slaughtered and bloodlust of the mad beast was gone, replaced with the tranquility she was familiar with.

Yet the feeling of dread that crept up amid unexpected turns of events never went away.

Celestria glanced at the pod and narrowed her eyes.

How were you able to control her domain? Not only that she had sensed the World Tree's power in your command.

A child marked by Karma shouldn't be able to use the power of the World Tree which was the wealth of life.

She had many candidates for soul exchange. None of them could withstand the process. By the end of it, they were left with nothing but broken souls. Disappointed and enraged by failure and grief, Celestria would punish them by turning them into monsters. After regaining composure, she usually utilized them as protector of her Domain and turned them into her mindless puppets.

But you were different. Not only you were the only one marked by Karma and Fate, but you were the first one to withstand the Soul energy transfer.

She had lived a long life and only a select few were able to draw out the World Tree's power and you happen to be one.

"She's perfect."

Celestria whispered after calming herself. She had come too far to second guess her plan. It had to work.

It was a good thing you had a powerful core. She should be happy her beloved would reincarnate through such a resilient soul.

Celestria gracefully sat before the pods, patiently waiting for the energy transfer to complete. She could see your soul weakening while her beloved was strengthening.

"Just a little longer and I'll see you again."

Her wistful whisper echoed in the forest as time slowly dragged on. And the night turned into the day before stars once again covered the sky.

Celestria had her eyes closed, monitoring the process while simultaneously keeping a close eye on her domain and the intruder who refused to give up.

Her eyes snapped open when she felt a disturbance in the pod. The pods were glowing as the last energy from your pod was transferred to the other. The pod with you in it dimmed until it went completely dark and the other was glowing more sporadically and cracking like an egg with a new life trying to break free.

"Oh heavens,"

Celestria jumped to her feet with an elated gasp. Her hands gently touched the pod as it rapidly came undone, tears filled her eyes with each sound.

"Finally, I've waited for so long to be united with you..."

Filled with anticipation and years-long longing, she was entirely focused on the breaking pod that she failed to notice the irregularities and strange anomalies happening with the soul.

The soul that devoured another soul's life energy to sustain and rejuvenate itself that emerged through the pod was completely out of Celestria's expectations and had become her worst nightmare.

****

Leaning against the destroyed fake World Tree, with head lowered, Claude healed himself, eyes lost in contemplation.

His heart was heavy with a sense of foreboding.

Soul Resurrection.

Nothing prepared him for such revelation.

He knew the apprehensive feeling in his gut wouldn't go away now that he knew exactly what would transpire if he failed to save you.

"What do you plan to do now? The barrier has strengthened itself. With your current situation, you cannot cross it. I'd be surprised if you manage to even put a dent in it." Ether said with a bitter look.