71. Feelings Revealed

You shot up, panting hard for air. The beginning of a scream hitched in your throat.

It's okay. It's only a dream. Only a dream.

You grabbed at your chest, feeling the vibration of your heart thundering inside. Your body was drenched in sweat was violently shaking.

Taking deep, shaky breaths, you let the terror of the nightmare fade away. Finally calming down, you paid attention to your surroundings.

Where am I..?

As you questioned yourself, recent memories came back in waves. You'd been forcefully put to sleep by Claude after your small argument.

"Claude..." You sighed, rubbing your sweaty forehead. You sat in the silence of the empty room for a long time, hearing your breathing, the swallow thud of your heartbeat, the quietness of the room you felt stranger to, before making up your mind to move.

As you threw the covers off, you looked out the window. It was probably midnight. Means you only got a few hours of sleep. It was a blessing nevertheless. The constant throbbing in your head was gone.

"Athy." Panicked, you muttered your breath. "What happened to her?"

You quickly put together yourself and dashed out of the room, sprinting straight to Athy.

Once reaching, you leaned against the door frame, panting softly. The bedroom was dimly lit. You failed to notice the presence of another person as your frantic gaze searched for her. Your eyes landed on Athy and you couldn't hide the disappointment seeing her unconscious and still in a coma.

Ether had taken your place in keeping her magic under control and you were grateful for it.

You sagged against the door, feeling exhaustion beyond physical. Just how long Athy was going to stay in that state? Weeks? Months? Years?

Your heart throbbed and your eyes stung. You gritted your teeth against the feeling of hopelessness. You weren't going to give up just yet. No giving up wasn't an option. Especially not with Athy.

You didn't think anyone was there to witness your slip up from the cheerful facade you constantly wore.

Claude's eyes thinned as he angled his head towards you, lips pressed together in a hard line, his usual apathetic face on. Despite the stoned facial expression, his blue eyes glowed with immense frustration and annoyance at seeing you. Your stubbornness was grinding on his last nerves. He told you to rest and yet you...

Feeling a movement from the corner of your eyes, you looked up and your eyes met his and you couldn't look away. You could feel the tension crackling between you both.

You were tensed up. So was he. He felt so far away. The distance wasn't just physical where you could take ten steps and you'd beside him. It was the emotional distance. The lack of understanding of each other and the inability to properly resolve it.

You faltered in closing the distance, seeing him so emotionless made you hesitant. His apathetic expression was slightly off-putting after the intense display he had shown in his bedroom. You knew your words earlier had hurt him. You felt guilty. You had no intention to hurt him. It was just that the fear and worry for Athy had overtaken your rationality. And the past. The godawful past you couldn't let go.

I can't lose you again!

Your resolve to risk your life to save Athy's if necessary wavered. The determination you had to throw away your life to save Athy faltered.

Having heard his sincere words, the way he bared his heart open, and the rare vulnerability he risked to convey his feelings was enough to make you second guess your decision.