44. Painful Realization

Urgh!

You rolled over, clutching the pillow close to your heart as you tried to erase the revolting image.

The scene continued to play in your head like broken tape. Repeating, repeating and repeating...

"Stop!" You slammed the pillow on your face.

You felt like crying. Felt like screaming still the image repeated itself over and over again. Claude kissing Penelope. Fuck..

"Stupid heart!" You punched the pillow grumbling. "Stupid feelings! Stupid Claude!!"

Meow!

You grumbled into the pillow, smothering yourself. "Stop judging me Ether. You didn't see what I saw. Them. Claude and Penelope kissing. Do you know how much it hurts? How much it hurts. And that stupid Claude is so freaking oblivious!"

You lifted your head and looked at your cat. "But then again I never told him about my feelings. But I just realized it myself. How was I supposed to know that Penelope would pop out of nowhere and declare herself Claude's love interest."

You rolled over your back, blankly staring at the ceiling.

"You must be thinking I'm crazy. Complaining to you about my nonexistent love life. No, not love, crush. Just a crush at least I hope. I'm truly a hopeless idiot."

"Meow!"

Ether jumped on your chest and started rubbing his whiskers on your cheek.

"Stop. It tickles!"

Suddenly he pulled on your nightwear. You frowned when Ether pointed outside.

"You want me to go out? What are you a dog asking me to take you on a walk?"

He threatened pulled out his claws and you put your hands up in surrender, chuckling.

"Well, I don't mind. You make me happy so it's only natural I make you happy, Ether. Let's go, my lovely magical cat!"

A white magical circle formed underneath you. "I thought we were going to walk."

"Huh? It's not the place--" You hid behind the tree, heart pounding hard. You clamped your mouth with your hand in shock. "What's Claude doing here?!"

Really, why was he here?!

Slowly your shock subsided and another feeling surged up. You peeked at him, at his back which looked so lonely. He sat underneath the sky, knees close to his chest, curled up in a fetal position.

How long was he here?

Why was he sitting so still as if his time was stopped?

He quietly gazed at the sky covered by clouds. Today there weren't any stars shining in the sky. There was no light, only endless inky darkness.

He was gazing at it like there was something only he could see, something only for him. What in the world were you gazing at in the empty darkness?

Your hand clenched on the tree bark, the rough surface digging into your soft palm.

Weren't you supposed to be happy? You finally got your happiness, you found love so why...

Tears blurred your eyes and your fist clenched until it was a white sheet.

So why were making that hollow expression?

Why were you looking so hollow, so broken?

Why do you look like you have given up, were lost and abandoned by everyone?