3. The Season of Solitude

By the time Winter rolled in, you went from crawling to walking and babbling nonsense to be able to speak a few words.

Nora was both excited and stressed since you were a active kid and tend to injure yourself a lot. While Iseka who was more laid back, explained it was normal for children to get hurt when Nora got too worried.

Watching them bicker was a strange sight. The feeling of being a child again, you weren't sure how to feel about it.

On one hand it was some times fun but other times it was disaster. Luckily you were growing fast and couldn't wait to run around and explore the nature you were so fascinated with.

Rolling on the bed, you lazily flipped the picture book Iseka gave you. She was sitting on a small stool near the bed, knitting while keeping a close eye on you. Occasionally, she would correct your posture, wrap you in a blanket and scowl when you made a fuss.

Her job as a seamstress looked pretty difficult as she knitted different types of clothes. You were even wearing a small muffler and socks she made for you.

While both of you were in cozy warmth of the cottage, Nora was out in the cold travelling to the capital to sell the medicine she made.

Nora had a extensive knowledge about herbs and plants. She was well known Herbalist and Alchemist in the village, though her reputation was in shambles being a single mother and the villagers only brought her products in emergency, which forced her to travel a long journey to the Capital to sell and earn money.

You stared out the window and at the sight of the meadows. Winter was hard on nature, most of the flowers had wilted while the birds had migrated to a warmer region. The breeze was no longer carried the sweet scent of nature, instead it was cold and dry.

It was a lonely season.

You rolled on your back and stared in daze at the ceiling. The crackling sound of fire in the fireplace and the sound of Iseka moving needles as she knitted filled the cottage.

The mysterious world you were reborn in was completely different from yours.

It was a world of kings and queens. Kingdom and Empires. Peasants and aristocrats.

And lastly and the most absurd, magic and magical creatures.

It was unbelievable.

Of course you couldn't deny their existence. Not when you caught glimpses of creatures venturing out of the deep forest and at the edge of the tree line. They were weird looking and had glowing eyes. Though they were like any other animal, they had the unique twist of ethereal features and magical abilities.

You were pretty sure you caught sight of weird creatures lurking outside the window.

The forest which was directly across the cabin was called Mist Forest. It was a forest full of mystery and got its name because mysterious fog occasionally appeared out of nowhere and strange creatures lurked inside the mist.

Sometimes the beast would step out of the Mist forest and wander near the cabin.

But you had nothing to worry. You had Iseka and her trusty broom.

You saw Iseka smack some creatures with a simple broom many times.

That lady was scary.

With mere thin stick, she managed to fend off the beasts that wandered off from the forest.

Nora had warned you to not go near the forest. She said it was dangerous.

She wasn't wrong.

Sometimes when you would glance at the forest, what seemed like ominous mist rolled around and a creepy feeling of being watched washed over you.

You would stare hours on end trying to find the source of discomfort you felt towards the Mist forest. But other than the creepy aspects of the mysterious mist and flashing eyes, nothing was out of place.

"Are you bored?"

You heard Iseka. You turned your head and Iseka lifted her head and raised an eyebrow.

"Can I do that too?" You pointed the needles in her hands.

"Knitting?" Iseka asked unsure if she heard it wrong.

"Yes!"

Iseka considered it for a moment and shook her head.

"Your hands are still too small to handle needles. Maybe once you grow up a little, I'll teach you knitting."

You pouted. "But I'm bored, Nana!"

"Read the book."

"I already did!"

"Read it again. It's good for growing children to read."

"I already read it many times."

"Should I ask your mother to bring more books?" Iseka asked going back to her knitting. "For the time being, make do and read it again."

You pouted and turned your head. You heard Iseka chuckle but stubbornly kept your head away from her.

Small breeze filtered in through the slightly opened window and chills covered up your tiny body.

Frowning at the cold, you curled up.

Looking dazedly at the gray clouds, you saw mist rolling out of the forest.

The feeling of being watched once again crept on you.

You shrugged it off and closed your eyes shut.

You missed home.