Chapter 22

She took him across the hall and showed him the bathroom, then over to the last bedroom which, to his surprise, was decorated as a child's room. There was a crib, and a small bed on one wall. A rocker sat over near the window, and toys were put neatly away. A colorful rug stretched out over the floor.

He felt a small surge of jealousy as he looked the room over but waited for her explanation.

"I have always wanted pups, Liam. I still do, and I hope you do too. With my father finally finding his mate twenty-two years ago, they had pups, and I have helped with them. They stay with me frequently, and this room is for them."

Liam could hear the wistfulness in her voice and he turned to her and pulled her against him. "How many?"

She leaned her head against his chest. "I don't know. Plenty."

"Whatever you want, but we might run out of room," he warned her.

"Then we build a house here on pack lands," she said with a laugh.

"Astrid, I am more than happy to give you pups. Twins do run in my family, though," he said, enjoying holding her.

"That's fine." She could feel some of the tension had left him, which made her happy. "Let me show you the last room."

"Hopefully it's your room," Liam said as he let go of her and followed her to that door.

She giggled, and opened the door. "Nope. It's our room."

He stepped inside and looked around. This room screamed Astrid. It was done in shades of purple and gray and had a king sized canopy bed. There was a fire place off to the side, with a few comfy chairs seated close by. The floors were wood, but she had fluffy gray rugs strategically placed. Soft blankets decorated the chairs, and Liam realized this was probably where she read. French doors were located on the back wall and led out to a deck. Astrid showed him the bathroom and closet as well.

"I'm glad I have quite a few clothes at school," Liam said, still annoyed that his father hadn't allowed him to get his own clothes from his bedroom. Astrid stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him. They stood together for several long moments, just holding each other.

"Are you okay, Liam?" she finally asked softly.

"No. But I will be," he said quietly.

"You had a major part of your identity ripped away from you today." She looked up at him, cupping his cheek.

"Yes, but that's not all who I am," he said.

"No it's not," Astrid brought him down for a kiss.

"So now what?" He asked. He'd always known his future before, but not anymore, though he supposed it didn't matter if Astrid was by his side.

His gaze darted back to the bed, and he wondered how many lonely nights she'd spent there, waiting for him. And to think he'd almost rejected her.

His eyes widened a bit as he realized what he had almost done to her. She'd waited over a millennium for him. It would have been cruel of him to walk away from her. His heart ached at just the thought of it.

"Do you want to go for a run?"

"Yes!"

"Okay, I want to change first," she said, stepping away from him and walking over to her closet. She came out a few moments later wearing shorts and a tank top.

Liam had changed into a T-shirt and shorts while she was in her closet. He looked her over. He'd never seen her dressed so casually, but he liked it. She was more relaxed here.