Chapter 55

"You're what?!"

Lucy smiled at her granddaughter as she wrapped an arm around the older gentleman standing next to her.

Emily snapped her mouth shut as she heard Onyx chortle in her mind.

'It typically runs in human families, having a werewolf mate,' she told Emily.

"I'm just..shocked," But she could see the happiness in her grandmother's eyes, something she hadn't seen in quite some time. "I'm happy for you grandma." She came forward and hugged her. "So what's going to happen now?"

"I'm going to be moving to Pennsylvania so I can be with Mitch," Lucy told her, looking at her mate. "And you'll be moving to California."

Emily frowned, remembering what Astrid had told her earlier. "I don't know now."

Lucy stepped forward. "Why not?"

"Finn's entire pack has been wiped out. He's the only one left," she whispered. She'd forgotten about it until Lucy had mentioned California.

"What?"

Her mate nodded. "I went to California with Caleb, Elijah and Nick. There's nothing left. They burned the whole place down."

Emily felt her heart break. "Oh my," she whispered.

"How is Finn?" Lucy asked in concern.

"Still sleeping but much better. I'd like to shower and then get back to him. I want to be there when he wakes up. He's been through so much," Emily said softly.

Lucy wrapped her arms around Emily. "I brought you clothes from home, and some other things I thought you might need."

"Thank you. Are you staying here?" Emily asked her.

Lucy blushed. "Yes." She looked at Mitch.

Emily smiled, watching them and wondered what his story was. She'd have to find out later.

"I'll show you to the bathroom," Mitch said, and led Emily down the hall.

Once she was alone, she quickly stripped off her clothes, and then stopped to look at herself in the mirror. 'What all happened to me?'

'Do you really need to know?' Onyx asked in concern.

'I suppose not,' Emily said. She knew Onyx was trying to protect her.

'Suffice it to say, if you hadn't been turned, you wouldn't have survived. And if you hadn't survived, our mate probably wouldn't have either,' Onyx said quietly.

Emily felt the tears come at that. Onyx was right. Given what all Finn had gone through, he probably wouldn't have survived her death, not after thinking she was dead, finding out she was alive and then having her die again. That would have been cruel.

She flipped on the water and climbed into the shower, then scrubbed her body from top to bottom. She never wanted to think again of Stephan's hands on her, and instead let her mind drift to Finn and their one night together. She felt her jaw feel a bit funny and frowned, reaching up to rub it.

'You're feeling our need to mark him, to complete the mate bond,' Onyx told her.

'I can do that now, can't I?'

'You sure can,' Onyx warmed her.

Emily smiled to herself, thinking back to that night. Having sex with Finn had been amazing and she couldn't wait to do so again.

She quickly finished her shower and got dressed. She wanted to get back to him. She walked out of the bathroom and was surprised to see that another man had joined them. Mitch was holding a toddler in his arms.