Chapter 17

Liam laid on his back after Astrid left, staring at the ceiling.

'Kai are you okay with this?'

'Smartest decision you've made so far. You and I both know we would never be happy with that she-wolf,' Kai said.

'True, but I'm also giving up our right to be Alpha. Are you okay with that?' Liam asked him. He wanted his wolf to be happy.

Kai was quiet for a moment. 'Mate is worth it.'

Finn opened the door and walked into the bedroom and threw himself down on the bed next to Liam. "Dude, I cannot believe you banged our teacher. Of all the women in the world you lose your virginity to, you picked her? Not that I blame you. She's hot."

Liam growled at his brother as a surge of jealousy ran through him.

"Calm down. I'm not interested in her." Suddenly Finna rolled over and propped his head up on his hand. "Holy cannoli, is she your mate?"

Liam just looked at him, not bothering to answer.

"Well that explains things,' Finn said

"What do you mean?'

"Been a virgin for twenty-three years and you suddenly decide to give it up to our teacher of all people? Not to mention the text Alpha sent me a little while ago," Finn rubbed his jaw

"What text?"

"Talk some sense into your brother!"

Liam groaned. "Alpha called me this morning and woke me up. They want to move up the mating ceremony. They want to have it when we get back from school."

"What?" Finn asked startled.

"Yeah I think I pissed Persephone off yesterday. She cornered me in the elevator trying to get me to sleep with her again and I wasn't very nice to her," Liam confessed.

"That girl can't take no for an answer. I can barely stand to be around her," Finn grumbled.

"And you want to be mated to her for the rest of our lives?"

Finn was quiet for a long moment. "No, we'll end up just like Mom and Alpha, miserable with each other."

"I told him that I refuse to mate her. And I refuse to share a mate with you. No offense bro, but I don't want to sleep with the same woman you're sleeping with." Especially not Astrid.

"I always thought that was a dumb idea anyways," Finn admitted. "So what did he say when you told him that?"

"He said that I would mate her or I would not be Alpha. I would become a rogue."

Finn ran his hands through his hair in exasperation. "And?"

"I'm not mating Persephone," Liam said adamantly.

"Have you talked to Astrid about it?" Finn asked.

"Yeah. She's okay with it because I'm okay with it. I'm not 100% okay with that because I have nothing to offer her. No pack, no luna position, I'm just a broke rogue." It was the only thing he was regretting. He had nothing to bring to this relationship.

"Is Astrid in a pack?" Finn asked.

"She is. I just hope her pack will take me in." Liam rubbed a hand over his face. He would be at the mercy of the Alpha King.

Finn glanced at Liam's bedside clock, then looked back at his brother. "Are you absolutely sure about this?"

Liam nodded. "I'm sure. Once I made the decision, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Kai is okay with it too."