Chapter 41

Finn woke again to find himself still groggy. He could barely focus his eyes. All he was aware of was the firey torment of his body. Every part of him ached and burned like he'd set himself on fire from the inside.

He was aware of someone coming in and talking to him. A woman. Her hand touched his brow, soothing him. "Emily," he whispered. The hand withdrew.

More time passed but he wasn't sure how much. He'd never felt like this before. He tried to focus his gaze but everything was blurry. His thoughts were jumbled. Someone was standing at the end of the bed, possibly. He couldn't be sure.

Red hair. Emily. "Em," he said hoarsely. He blinked, trying to focus. It was her. He could smell her. It was faint, but it was there. Her scent. His Emily's scent.

"Finn!"

She was upset, and he couldn't get to her.
Someone came up behind her and grabbed her. She screamed and fell.

"Leave her alone!" He tried to yell, but he couldn't. Where had she gone? He wasn't sure.

Others moved around the room but he couldn't focus on anything. "Em," he called.

Someone moved over close by, and touched him. He tried to focus on the scent, but he couldn't. A hand stroked his brow again.

"Em," he whispered.

The voice leaned over him and said something. The only word he caught was Dead.

***

Finn screamed as the man injected him slowly with more silver. He'd woken up to it, as fire shot through his veins. His head was clear now but he wished it wasn't. He wished he was still asleep instead of experiencing this kind of torture. The man was smiling at him again but Finn didn't care anymore. He'd already decided he was in hell.

The man withdrew the needle and stood. "That should make you nice and comfy for the next few hours. No opiates to dull you this time around," he laughed.

"Where's Emily?" He whispered. His mouth was so dry.

"That little human of yours? I have to say, I can see why you like human. She has a gorgeous little body. The way she moans...Anyway, too bad Persephone can't stand the way you're always asking for her. She brought her in here earlier and killed her."

"Dream," Finn whispered as fear and anger shot through him.

The man snorted. "Nope. Not a dream." He grabbed hold of Finn's hair and jerked him up forcefully, popping Finn's shoulder out of place as his hands were still chained.

Finn groaned as his arm was forced in a way it didn't belong as he was jerked around like a doll. The man hadn't let go of his hair and he gripped him tightly. Finn felt the sweat pop out on his forehead as he was jerked forward even further. He squeezed his eyes shut in pain. He was starting to really hate this guy, but he was too weak to do anything about it.

"Open your eyes." The man smacked him in the head

Finn opened them slowly.

"See all of the blood?"

It took him a moment to focus, but when he did, he wished he hadn't. There was blood all over the floor. He sucked in a few breaths, trying to scent her, but it was difficult. He could catch it here and there maybe, but his sense of smell wasn't the same.

The man pushed him back down on the bed, and Finn groaned as the pain shot through his shoulder.

"Like I said, I'm a little disappointed. I enjoyed playing with her. But Persephone is the Alpha and what she wants, she gets. She wants no competition. I'll be back later." He turned and left the room.