FÓRTY FÖÚR

Zahra and I were laying down in the living room watching TV when the doorbell rang

Zahra and I were laying down in the living room watching TV when the doorbell rang. "I'll get it." She said just as I was about to get up.

"Okay." I paused the movie and lay there waiting for her to come back because I wasn't expecting anyone and you could only visit us if you were an authorized guest on the list. "Who is it Z?" I asked upon hearing the door close.

"Ummm......" She trailed off and I sat up to see Nasir trailing in behind her and my eyes squinted in confusion because I didn't think I was seeing correctly.

"What are you doing here?"

"Sorry for showing up unannounced." Not your first rodeo. "Mi know yuh still ave mi blocked suh mi figure seh mi might ave better luck if mi show up in person."

"I cannot keep doing this Nasir, can you please go?"

"Hear mi out please?" I have tried and proven that this man is here to kill me. Rubbing my temples, I collected myself to hear the bullshit that he was about to spew out of his mouth.

"Thirty seconds."

"Mi just wah sleep."

"Yuh ave too much bed ova yuh yaad suh next."

"Mi nuh sleep fi months Iyana." That really didn't have anything to do with me but I found myself feeling a little bit bad for him. "The other night was the best sleep I've had in months."

"I can't help you, I'm sorry."

"Mummy, mek him stay nuh?"

"Zahra—."

"Just for tonight, please?" I contemplated it before nodding my head yes even though I really wanted to say no.

"Thanks."

"Wi a watch a movie, yuh can join if yuh want."

"Kl."

"Yuh eat dinner?" She asked as he took a seat on the couch and I scooted over.

"Yeah."

"If yuh feel hungry, mummy cook an food inna di kitchen."

"Mi gov man but thanks princess." She walked over to the couch and sat on the other side of me sandwiching me in between the both of them. I could feel his body heat radiating off him and I wanted to be anywhere but here next to him.
•.........•

I turned the TV off and got up from the couch. Zahra had gone to her room and I got up to go to mine but I grabbed the blanket that I had been using and draped it over his body.

I went to walk past him but he grabbed my arm and I looked down at him to see him looking up at me with sleepy eyes.

"Can you let go?"

"No."

"I can't do the back and forth thing with you tonight Nasir." I tried pulling my hand away but he wasn't letting go. "It late an mi tired."