ËÎGHT

Monday
12:07 pm
°°°°°°°°°°°°°

I was halfway through my first day at the new job and if wasn't bad because everyone in the department was so nice

I was halfway through my first day at the new job and if wasn't bad because everyone in the department was so nice. Maybe they were only being nice because I was new but I think I would know if there were any ill feelings towards me.

"Hey, new girl, mi a guh fi lunch yuh wah forward?" The guy in the cubicle next to mine asked as he peeked around the divider.

"It's Iyana and I don't want to intrude."

"Yuh nah intrude, come man." What did I have to lose? Nothing.

"Okay." I picked up my purse and got up. "I didn't get your name."

"Kevaughn Mitchell but yuh can call mi Kj." I followed him outside then across a sitting area that had benches and tables covered that were covered to protect people from the sun or rain where people were already sitting down to eat. "Yuh nuh get yuh id yet?"

"Tomorrow."

"Alright, aguh tek care a lunch fi yuh today."

"I can pay."

"I don't doubt that but in this place, your id is currency and it calls all the shots so when you get yours, you guard it with your life."

"Oh."

"Yeah so one of the perks is that we get two meals a day and a snack and you basically pay with your id when you scan it after you get what you want to eat." You had to have some some serious money to be able to do that. "Big up Mr. Addler still cause dis save nuff money an anuh nuh hard fi eat food dem cook, a good good food."

"That's good."

"Yeah." I followed him into a building that I could immediately tell was the lunch room because the smell of food hit me instantly and it did smell good. There were tables and chairs inside instead of benches and people were inside eating as well. "Let's wash our hands."  There was a hand washing station right next to the door so we washed our hands before he moved over to where a stack of trays sat and picked up two.

I followed him down the line and told him what I wanted and he got it for me. He swiped his id at the register before picking up both of our trays and headed to the door. I opened the door for him before he started walking to go find us a seat. He finally stopped at a table that was a little ways off from everybody else and we sat down.

"Do the managers eat out here too?"

"Some of them do but they mostly eat inside the lunchroom."

"And your boss?"

"He's unpredictable so you never know which day he's going to eat down here but he does." I was hoping that he didn't but as usual things didn't work out in my favour and he had a knack for showing up unannounced.