THÎRTY ËĪGHT

°Zahra Addler°

"Mi know yuh seh yuh wah guh pan di trip fi yuh birthday but yuh still nuh tell mi wah else yuh want."

"Yuh nuh affi get mi nthn."

"Mi happy seh yuh nuh fussy enuh but come on princess, yuh nuh si nthn weh yuh would a want?" As long as I had food, I was good because well, possessions were just that and I would get bored with them quickly.

"I'm good, thanks."

"Yuh mother still nuh mek up her mind yet if she aguh guh pan di trip wid wi?"

"It's okay if she doesn't want to." And it was but I would love for her to be there with me. "She said that she'd give me an answer later."

"How is she?"

"Call her."

"She nah answer mi call dem."

"I wonder why."

"Watch it."

"She's fine given the circumstances but wen yah come back?" He had left for his business trip two days ago and he called me at least 3 times a day to "check up" on me but in reality he was trying to make sure that I wasn't mad at him or had run to mom about what I had seen.

"Bout Tuesday."

"My birthday is Thursday suh how dat aguh work?"

"Tired or no tired princess, we're going on that trip suh nuh worry yuh head just get your mom on board."

"Okay."

"Hi baby." She walked up behind me and hugged me before kissing my hair. "What are you doing?" She asked as she pulled away and walked around the kitchen island.

"Talking to daddy."

"Oh."

"Iyana?"

"Hi Nasir." I was surprised she answered him but she sounded so different than before, almost defeated in a sense.

"How are you?"

"I'm okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"I've been calling you."

"I can't even tell you the last time I laid eyes on my phone." That would explain why she had been calling me on the house phone these last few days. "Before you lecture me, please don't."

"Okay. You can come back to work after Zahra's birthday trip."

"I already sent you my resignation letter because I'm not coming back."

"Weh yuh mean yuh nah come back?"

"I got another job offer that I'm going to take."

"Mi nah accept nuh resignation letter from yuh Iyana."

"Well that's up to you because it's already signed, sealed and delivered so I suggest you start looking for my replacement." I get her wanting to branch out and do her own thing but what did this decision mean for their relationship, our family?

"Y yah duh dis now? Y now after all dis time?"

"I am honestly tired of being in competition with people over you because you've made your choice and that's that."

"What choice Iyana?"

"Anyways baby, I'll go on the trip but only because of you." She said completely ignoring the question that he had asked and he hated that.