FÔRTY TWŌ

°Zahra Addler°

"What's on your mind?" He asked bringing me out of my thoughts and I looked over at him when he took my hand in his.

"Just thinking."

"About?"

"Did my dad say anything to you?" I had been on the edge of my seat these last few days thinking that my dad had said something to him to run him off and I almost believed it but then he showed up bearing flowers and asked Mom if it was okay for him to take me on a date.

She of course said yes because she knew how much I liked him even though I had never said it in so many words but moms usually knew.

"Like?" I sighed in relief and he looked at me out of the corner of his eye. "How dat sound suh?"

"Nothing."

"Nuh gimme dat."

"It's nothing."

"If you say so." He would drop it for now but circle back later when I had forgotten about it. "Did I tell you how beautiful you looked today?"

"Yes, only like fifty times."

"Well you look so beautiful today so that's fifty one." Him sweet pan him likkle mouth essi. I didn't know where we were going but he told me to wear something comfy but I was puzzled as to where we could be going that didn't require a nice dress and some heels even though I wasn't a heels girl. "Mi aguh stop up di road an pick up smthn."

"Okay." He stopped at a corner shop and put the car in park.

"Soon come." I nodded my head and he exited the car. I watched him walk around the car and disappear into the shop. There were two elderly men sitting outside the shop, a little boy sitting down on a crate watching something on a tablet but aside from that, there weren't really that man people on the street.

I picked up my phone and unlocked it before going to check my messages but there wasn't anything worth responding to so I exited the app and went to my Snapchat to take a video of my self.

A knock came at the window startling me because I wasn't expecting anyone and he wouldn't be knocking. I looked at the window and saw this girl standing there with a bouquet of flowers in her hand.

Hesitantly, I cracked the window because I didn't know her and it was bad enough that I had opened the window. "Hi."

"Hi." I looked at her curiously but impatiently as I waited for her to get to the point.

"Him seh yuh fi hold dem here fi him." She motioned to the flowers and I wondered who he was getting flowers for because he already got me some flowers earlier.

"Oh, okay." I rolled the window down and took the flowers before she smiled and disappeared through the gate of a house right next to the shop. I rolled the window back up and and leaned back into my seat as a million thoughts ran through my head because why was he taking me out when he clearly had someone else.

My aunt was right wen she seh man cyaan tame an as long as it name man or is a male species, it will embarrass you.

My mood shifted and I had lost my excitement over where we were going. I looked up and saw him walking back to the car. He opened the door and got in. "Sorry mi tek suh long."

"Weh mi fi put dem here?" I asked motioning to the flowers but he didn't answer as he put the car in drive once he had his seatbelt on. "Hello?"

"They're yours so put them wherever you want."

"Bruh just—."

"Bruh?"

"Who fa flowers dem here?"