SÊVÉÑ

Thursday
6:08 pm.
°°°°°°°°°°

"Your cousin offered me a job

"Your cousin offered me a job." I said loud enough from the kitchen where I was cooking so Amyra could hear.

"Why?"

"Said he was trying to make up for getting me fired."

"He came back?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen startling me a bit. I knew she said that they weren't on talking terms so I didn't want to tell her that he had basically sent someone to kidnap me but I had tell her something. "Iyana?"

"No."

"Then how did he talk to you if he didn't come back?" I didn't say anything and she continued. "How would he even get your number?"

"I went to his house." I said dropping the ball and hoping that she wouldn't think too much into it.

"Weh yuh mean yuh guh a him house?"

"Wah it mean wen ppl guh a ppl house Amyra?"

"Mi nuh know suh dats y mi a ask yuh."

"Yah mek it seem like mi did wah guh." I kissed my teeth and turned down the stove so I could turn around to look at her.

"Yuh could a fool me cause yuh call mi a cuss mi wah day yah seh mi tell him weh yuh live now yuh gone a him yard."

"Mi not even did wah guh but mi neva did ave a choice."

"Of course you had a choice Iyana."

"Di man send a man fi mi suh mi neva ave nuh choice but fi guh wid him."

"What the fuck is wrong with Nasir man, him think is a show him a star inna." I covered my mouth with my hand to stop the laugh. "Yuh think seh it funny but him basically kidnap yuh."

"Yuh nuh think mi know dat Amyra?"

"I am not trying to argue with you Yan and I'm glad he offered you a job even though I would have preferred he didn't, I feel better knowing that you'll be able to take care of yourself." She folded her arms across her chest and gave me the side eye. "Salty still cause mi did a offer fi mek daddy get yuh a good job long time an yuh turn mi down but mi nah seh nthn still."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. What is the position though?"

"He said it was a supervisory position in HR."

"Eeh?" She asked like she was in disbelief but I didn't question it.

"Yeah."

"That's good." She looked me dead in my eyes before speaking again. "Please just be careful with Nasir?"

"Weh dat mean?"

"Anuh nthn serious man suh yuh nah fi worry." Telling me not to worry was making me worry and I had to play it off with a smile.