Not Friends

Bucky didn't say anything when you first sat down. Or a minute later.

In fact, three minutes later, he still hadn't acknowledged your presence. You glanced at him a few times, seeing if he was glancing at you, but he was still holding the binoculars to his eyes and staring out the window.

You reached out a hand, then took it back. You opened your mouth, then closed it. What in the hell were you supposed to say to someone you were keeping a massive secret from, but were also insanely attracted to, and who also treated like absolute shit ever since you met him?

"So...You okay?" You asked, closing your eyes straight after as you internally cursed yourself for your inability to be cool.

"You should be resting." He replied bluntly. Great.

"Well...I dunno about you, but I don't usually sleep for 12 hours at once, so. Other than when we got back from the prison obviously."

A moment of silence followed.

"Do you want me to make you some food?" You asked.

Nothing.

"James...I-"

"Stop calling me that." He said, and you noticed the words came out sounding angry from the way his teeth were clenched together.

"Why?"

More silence. You tried to redo the calm breathing you'd done in the bedroom.

"Look, can we please talk? Nicely?" You asked, your voice calm and soft. He didn't move his binoculars. "I'm trying here."

"You can stop." He muttered. The anger flared in your stomach again, and made you stand from the chair.

"Why are you being such an asshole?!" You said angrily. "I'm trying to have a conversation with you and you're just...just...being an asshole, again!"

"I only give what I get, doll."

"UGH!" You yelled, standing and grabbing the chair and throwing it across the room, where it splintered pathetically against the wall.

That got his attention. The binoculars lowered. You put your hands on your hips, pacing into the room and trying to breathe slowly. You had forgotten to rein in your strength again.

"What the hell is your problem?" You suddenly asked, making his eyes snap to yours.

"My problem?"

"Yeah. I'm the one who has a right to be angry here, not you. You were in the wrong with that whole Thor thing. So what's your problem?"

"You're my problem right now."

"What, by trying to speak to you?"

"You haven't spoken to me properly since we met, don't pretend this is all me."

"I'm trying now!"

"Well it's too late!" He shouted, standing up and walking over to you. "I thought things were pretty clear, but then there was Thor, which yeah, I misunderstood, but you then spent the last three days making jokes about it and barely acknowledging my presence. And do you know what I realised? I realised that you have constantly been finding reasons to act like there's nothing between us since you first got here, so why the fuck should I keep letting you back in?!"

"That's not true-"

"Since we fucking met, Luka, you have done nothing but act like I am the last person you want to be around, like this is the last thing you want. You run out of conversations, try and leave my bed before I wake up, ignore me in the compound. So why should I keep following you around? Maybe I should let you win, and it should just be over."