Night Training

A few days later, neither you nor Bucky had addressed it. No text, no looks in the training room, nothing. On one hand it was helpful, because it meant you had some space to try and think about what to do next. On the other hand, it was driving you crazy that you now knew what his lips felt like, and you were itching to feel them again. You told him no. It was the right thing to do.

It didn't mean that you weren't slightly regretting it. It also didn't mean that your brain stopped unhelpfully providing you with dreams centred around kissing him again.

Exactly six days after the Ball, you woke up in a hot sweat to your phone buzzing incessantly. Wiping your wet forehead, you picked it up and pressed the end call button. Why the fuck was Tony calling you this early?

He then sent a text through, that simply said 'Come to my lab.'

You chucked on the nearest clothes you could find and made yourself a travel coffee for the walk down. Grunting at whoever you passed, your cup was empty by the time you shoved the lab door open.

"Ahh! Finally." Tony said, making you frown at him.

"It's 8 in the morning. Not all of us stay up all night."

"Don't blame me for your shortcomings." He muttered under his breath, but you heard him anyway, so you wondered if that was his intention all along.

"What do you want Tony?" You sighed.

"Right, yes. It's about tomorrow. The official briefing will be later tonight but you know me, I like to get a headstart on things."

"Tomorrow?"

"Your first mission."

"Another Ball? Tony I really-"

"No. Not intelligence gathering." He smiled. "A real mission."

You felt your face fall, and the panic settled in your stomach. It didn't seem like you had been here long enough to be going on a real mission.

"We just need you to get something off of someone." He continued, ignoring your shocked expression to walk around his bench. "The rest of the team will do the fighting, and we just need you to take the weapon while they're busy." He explained.

"So I don't have to do anything? Just...be invisible, take the thing, get out?"

"Exactly. No harm, no foul." He replied cheerily. "I've made you a suit either way, just in case -"

"Just in case what? Someone attacks me?" You scoffed.

"It's a battle. The chance is there. You've been doing very well training with the team, and you're not as useless as you think."

"I never said I was useless. I said I'm not ready to fight some supersoldier enemy!" You retorted while he disappeared into the back room, and you heard loud rummaging. When he reappeared, he was carrying something that looked like fabric. He dropped it onto the table in front of you.

"You can hold your own. This will help with the supersoldier bit." He waved his hand over the material, and you picked it up, holding it out in front of you.

It was a light grey almost spandex looking suit, tight fitting but like it was made out of kevlar. It had some black banding details, and some pockets round the hips that made you wonder what you could possibly fit in them.

"I wasn't sure how you felt about helmets or masks." Tony continued speaking.

"I don't think I've thought about them much." You replied honestly.

"Some of the team have them, you're not obliged to." He held up a small face mask that would just cover the area around your eyes. You wondered how that would conceal any part of your identity.