A Kiss

You stared back at him, suddenly very aware of how heavy his hand felt as it rested on your lower back, and very aware of how his suit jacket and shirt were grazing your body as you both swayed to the music. You couldn't find the courage to say anything in response.

"What did you manage to find then?" He asked, breaking the tension that was building between you.

"I..." You paused, thinking about what you wanted to disclose. "They were dated 10 years ago. How long ago did you join the team?"

"About 4 years. Don't worry doll, I'm all better now." He winked, making you roll your eyes to cover up the fact that your heart rate was now speeding up. The action meant that you caught sight of someone from across the room - your target.

"Straight behind you." You muttered, loud enough for Bucky to hear you.

"What is?"

"The whole reason we're here, remember? The target? He's putting his drink down and going down the hall."

"Bathroom maybe." Bucky replied. "Fancy it?"

"I've had weirder propositions." You answered honestly, making him laugh under his breath, breaking the hold he had on you and allowing you to walk first towards where the target had disappeared.

The hallway was longer than you had expected, and it was just as luxurious as the rest of the venue seemed. There were a couple of turns before you finally saw the sign for the bathroom, and turned the final corner.

The target was talking to someone, in front of the toilet doors, and you and Bucky had just walked into full view of them. Instantly, you grabbed his hand behind you and shivered, dragging him backwards until you hit the wall of the corner you had just come round from. Breathing slowly, you watched the target and his friend look around, most likely noticing the noise your footsteps had just made, but they shook their heads and resumed their conversation. They were about 15 feet from you, so you could just about hear what they were talking about, but you knew that if you hadn't turned invisible, that they would definitely have spotted you.

You had almost forgotten Bucky was there until he spoke to you.

"You're sure this actually works? Making me invisible just by touching me?" He asked, his voice hushed, but you weren't convinced it was hushed enough.

"Yes, if you're fucking quiet!" You hissed, turning back to the target and ensuring that he hadn't heard either of you.

You focused on the conversation they were having, which was mostly coded sentences of getting some owl to the tavern by the lake. Shaking your head, you looked back at Bucky to see if he could make any sense of it, when you noticed that he was staring at you rather than at the target.

"What?" You asked. He raised a finger to his lip, the universal gesture for 'be quiet', but it wasn't the gesture that made you stop talking. You stopped talking because Bucky was now leaning forward, his finger leaving his lips and wrapping round the side of your neck. His eyes were looking between yours. Your breathing got shallower the closer he got, until ...

He kissed you.

The surprise of it made your body freeze on the spot. Then the warm, wet feel on his tongue running over your bottom lip made you melt into him. Your hand tightened around his, and your body turned, wanting to -

"Hey! What are you two doing?!"

You separated and turned round to see your target now staring at you. Your mouth blubbered open until you felt Bucky tug on your hand. He tugged harder, causing you to step back, until you finally realised that he was running away from the target. Finally, just as your arm felt like it was going to dislocate from your shoulder, you turned and followed his running.