Leave Them

You could hear the gunshots and screams from the stairs and outside of the room, the panic flooding your body and making you freeze until Bucky grabbed you by the shoulders and made you face him.

"You need to hide." He said, not even hiding the worried expression on his face.

"What? No...James I-"

"They're gonna find me, but I can't let them find you too. You keep yourself hidden, you understand?"

"You can't just-"

He shut you up with a kiss. A firm, knee buckling kiss, that made you forget what the hell you were doing, until he pulled away and -

"Go and hide, now!" He ordered, pushing you back slightly as he walked to the door, getting his knife out of his inner jacket pocket.

"But I -"

"GO!" He shouted back at you, just as the pounding started on the door. He turned to look at you, and you saw the pleading look in his eyes.

Just as the door smashed open, you shivered invisible. You held your breath as you watched a swarm of people dressed in tactical gear invade the room, surrounding Bucky instantly. Your chest felt tight as he tried to fight them off, but they grappled him to his knees in seconds, kicking his knife across the floor until it landed at your feet.

"Who were you talking to?!" The one in front of him asked angrily, his gun pointed directly at Bucky's forehead.

Bucky continued to struggle against the six people holding him down. A couple more of them starting looking around the room, and you took a couple of silent steps backwards.

"No one." Bucky spat back. His response was met with the gun punching him across the face. You slapped your hand over your mouth to hide the gasp you almost let slip.

"WHO WERE YOU TALKING TO?!" The person shouted again.

Your breath shuddered as you fought against yourself to keep your mouth shut, trying not to cry, trying not to move, trying not to intervene. There was no way you could take down all 10 of them. Even if you started picking them off one by one while invisible, they would catch on quicker than they'd go down. And if there were 10 up here, who knew how many more were downstairs?

Maybe not all of the team had been captured yet. Maybe you could find someone who was hiding just like you and you could both get the others out of here.

"We got the soldier." One of the tactical guys said into his walkie talkie. "Think he alerted someone."

"Must have been calling his boyfriend, Mr All American here. But we got him, and he was the last one. Bring Barnes to the basement with the others." Came the reply.

So that idea was out of the window.

But wait...if they thought Bucky and Steve were the last ones, that meant that no one was looking for you, right? Your status as a newbie was actually coming in handy - nobody knew you were here.

Your next plan was getting past these guys and out of the room. You could see Bucky glancing in your general direction every few seconds, and you wondered if he knew you were still here, or if he thought you'd already left. What you would give to be able to let him know that you were watching the strangers manhandle his hands behind his back and marching him out of the door. But your feet were frozen to the floor.

Even when the room was completely empty, when their footsteps were fading away down the stairs, you couldn't move. All that was running through your head was thoughts of how you stupidly stood and watched Bucky get taken. The others, all taken as well by the sounds of it.