Inviting Trouble

You didn't text Bucky back. But you did text Clint and Wanda back, and also shot a text off to Natasha asking if she was okay, apologising again for putting her at risk. But you didn't text Bucky back. You weren't too sure what to say, and everything you thought you could say, it sounded pathetic. You also didn't want to give him any ideas.

After the Ball and the obvious tension since, you knew that texting him back would just be inviting trouble. And then after he hurled you through that window - god you had almost kissed him the way he was staring down at you, his entire body pinning yours to the ground. Just like in the training room the other night. It was the most physical contact you had had in a long time, and your body had made you very aware of that fact. The way he hadn't moved away instantly made you certain that your talk in the car had done nothing to dispel the pull you felt towards each other.

You tapped your phone against your hand, trying to debate what to do as you entered your room. You had to try and nip this thing in the butt, or you'd risk being kicked off the team for fraternising or whatever. You already felt like you were on thin ice from breaking the bioweapon tube and putting everyone else at risk.

You didn't join the team for dinner that night, and decided to climb into the vents instead an hour or so later. Clint hadn't explicitly told you he was there tonight, but you knew his schedule, and he usually was around this time.

You weren't wrong.

You found him in his usual spot, this time eating a bowl of ice cream. As you crawled forward, you spotted a label on the ice cream tub by his feet.

'Steve won't appreciate you eating his food.'  You scolded in sign language, turning the tub round to show Clint in the 'Steve Rogers' label.

Clint reached forward and peeled it off.

'What label?'  He asked with a smile, making you laugh. 'Nice to hear you're not infected.

'Yeah it's nice to know too.'  You replied, as he slid a bowl and spoon forward, and you served yourself some ice cream. He'd brought you some of your own supplies a couple weeks back, because it meant you stopped trying to steal what he was physically eating.

Loading the bowl with some of Steve's ice cream, you had a spoonful before continuing.

'Has Bucky been talking about me?' You asked, surprised a little at your own question. Clint's grin got wider.

"Whyyy?"

'He texted me is all. Wondered if there was a reason for it.'

'Yeah he wouldn't shut up.' Clint mused, spooning some more ice cream into his mouth. 'He was asking if we heard anything. If anyone knew if we could come see you. He's not usually so...attentive.'

'No?'

Clint just smiled back at you, not responding at all, instead just returning to his ice cream. Sensing the conversation was over, the two of you sat in the vent, finishing the tub of ice cream that was definitely not Steve's, enjoying the comfortable silence with a friend.

The next day was quiet, and relaxing, spending most of the day in bed and just being comfortable. Up until you got a text from Tony.

Stark: Tomorrow night, party on second floor communal. 8pm. I will drag you myself.

It's not that you thought Tony was a liar. You knew that he would definitely come to your room and personally escort you to the party if he needed to. You might not have been here long, but you did know that what Tony wanted, he got. Even if you hated the idea of being surrounded by alcohol and the rest of the team.