Chapter 12: Restricted heart

Ivanna

"I saw your pictures. You were looking so beautiful, Ivy. And I swear you and Christian look so adorable together," Emily beams on the other end of the call. "Girls will be so damn jealous of you,"

"Do we have anything we have anything else to talk about apart from my wedding?" I ask, strolling in the garden

It's filled with varieties of plants and flowers which I have only seen in the pictures or heard about. It's kinda relaxing until Emily starts talking about Christian.

"You are mourning your marriage girl, that too with Christian. Do you know how many girls dream about him?" She husks

"I'm not among them. As simple as that.Besides, you know everything now?"

I have told her everything about this marriage, still, she will only rant about Christian.

"I know, but how much will you wait for that person? It's been a year, Ivanna. I don't think he even thinks about you," she says occurring an ache to my heart.

I don't know what do say when a piece of heart believes the same. Does he even remember me? What if he already got someone else? My head throbs.

"Are you listening to me, Ivaana?"

"Yeah, yeah I am," I mumble

"Let me tell you. Maybe God has some other plans for you. Accept it and just move on. He's good," she says

I don't know what he is, how he is. At one point, he seems to be so good and at the next month, he's completely different. Among all the good things, I can't forget how he treated my dad. Yes, my dad is in debt. That doesn't mean he'll behave like this with him. It hurts.

"Anyways, leave it. What's your plan now? Any changes after the marriage?"

"Not at all," I almost yell. "I'm not changing my plans. Actually, I was thinking about applying for a PhD soon," I tell her

"Finally. I'm glad you're pursuing what you always wanted to," she says.

While travelling back to Dallas I had my mind ready for it. The situation has changed but not my strategies. However, I'm still worried about it. Christian has repeatedly broken the rules and it makes me anxious about my plans. If he messes this up for me, I'm literally gonna show my worst face to him.

*

I hardly jeep my eyes open while strolling through social media. Christian left after dinner like every day. He was on the call, doing some work and I didn't feel like talking about myself since I wanted the entire attention when I would be talking about my plans.

A crack occurs at the door as I look up, discovering Christian coming inside, taking lazy steps. He looks tired, all in sweat. His eyes meet mine for a second before he looks away.

"What's keeping you up so late?" He asks in an exhausted voice.
"You"

Wrinkles from across his forehead as he frowns at me.

"You want to scream over last night again? I'm tired, please. If you don't trust me, I can't make you believe anything. So, don't stress yourself and also me," he shrugs.

His words make me feel like the culprit, especially his exhausted voice

"I know I overreacted this morning. But I was scared. You're not a girl. so you won't understand," I lower my head

"At least, you accepted it," he says, taking out his clothes. Should I wait untill he freshens up? I'm not so cruel to nag a tired person.

Keeping my mouth shut, I focus back on the phone and wait for him to come out of the washroom.