XVIII. Third Year: James Has A Terrible Crush And Marlene Has To Cope With It

January 1, 1975 (Wednesday)

"Happy 1975, James!" Marlene yelled as he opened the door to let her inside.

Her parents and older brother were standing behind her. James instantly noticed her hair next, "You cut your hair?!"

Marlene nodded excitedly. Her blonde wavy hair now fell only a bit above above her shoulders. "Do you like it?"

James nodded. "Of course, it suits you."

"I think so too, but I miss my long hair also."

James threw his arm around her shoulders and they walked up to his room. Marlene waved to his parents on their way upstairs. "I remember when we were kids and your hair was so long it went all the way down to your hips."

Marlene winced like the memory brought her PTSD. "Don't remind me. I really don't miss the daily breakdowns every morning as my mum tried to brush my hair."

James just let out a laugh and he collapsed on his bed. Marlene sat down on the floor next to his record player and records. She immediately started to flip through them until she selected a Queen one. James couldn't help, but break out in a smile at the memory of Regulus. He had looked really bloody cute in that Queen shirt and James was eager to play some Queen records for him at school.

Marlene seemed to notice his smile, "What's got you in such a good mood?"

"Nothing," James lied.

She let out a sigh, "Let me guess. Black?"

James just nodded. He buried his face in his pillow and let out a noise of frustration in it. He really wanted this crush to go away, but it wouldn't. "Go on, tell me all about it," she said.

James told everything. Every single detail. He made sure to not leave anything out. "It was so great, Marls."

"How unlucky do you have to be for your gay awakening and first crush to be your best friends little brother?"

"Well technically, your brother was the first who made me question my straightness, but I never liked him like that. It was nothing like how I like Regulus now," James corrected.

Marlene just shook her head in disbelief, "Seriously, what is it with you and brothers! Leave our brothers alone, Potter."

James just groaned, "I think I have a type, Marls."

"You think?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"It's not my fault my friends have hot brothers though. It's yours and Sirius's fault. I'm the innocent one here who is just having a gay panic."

Marlene rolled her eyes before shifting the conversation slightly, "Have you told your parents yet?"

"I was going to tell my mum before I go back to school, but I guess I'm just scared. What if they hate me?"

She shook her head, "They won't hate you, James."

"How do you know?"

"Because they are Effie and Monty. Do they really take you as the type of people to be homophobic."

"Alright, I'll tell them. I'll probably leave out the Regulus part. I do want to tell them I'm gay though."

⭑ ⭑ ⭑

January 2, 1975 (Thursday)

James went back to school tomorrow so he decided today had to be the day.

It getting to be night time now and his father had a long day at the Ministry so he had went to bed early. James and his mother shuffled around the kitchen as they cleaned up the mess they had made while baking. There was flour all over the counter so James was cleaning it up with a wet cloth. "You are becoming quite the baker, James," she mused next to him.

James leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "Well, I am learning from the best after all," he complimented.

She hit his arm playfully. "You are too kind for this world, James."

They fell into another comfortable silence. James got a sudden wave of bravery so he spoke. "Can I talk to you about something, Mum?"

She stopped what she was doing and gave him her full attention. "Of course. You can tell me anything, dear."

James bit his lip nervously before taking a deep breath and speaking, "I um... I sort of... like guys." He took another deep breath. "Are you mad?"

She pulled him into a tight hug. "Of course not, sweetie. How long have you known?"

"Couple of months. I've suspected it for about a year though."

She hugged him tighter before pulling away and cupping his face in her hands. "Are you okay?"

"I- I think. I don't know. It's hard and people... they say awful things at school, mum. It's scary," he croaked out.

"Oh, sweetie." She pulled him into another hug. "I love you."

He started to cry at that. The fact that she still loved him meant so much to him. He didn't know what he would have done if she didn't. "I love you too, mum."

They stood there like that awhile. James just sobbed into his mothers shoulder as she held him and whispered comforting things in his ear.

⭑ ⭑ ⭑

January 10, 1975

"We listened to Queen records today. It was great. He actually really likes their music."

"That's nice I suppose," Marlene said from her spot on the corner of his bed.

⭑ ⭑ ⭑

February 4, 1975

"He looked at me today. I swear there was some love in the look, Marls."

"Uh huh."

⭑ ⭑ ⭑

February 12, 1975

"Do you think I should ask him to the valentines dance?"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "You are joking right?"

"No."

"James you can't just ask Regulus Black to the Valentines dance!"

⭑ ⭑ ⭑

February 27, 1975

"Do you think he likes me?"

Marlene let out a groan. "I don't know, James. How about you ask him yourself?"

James nodded. "Okay."

Her eyes quickly went wide and she shook her head. "No. No. Don't actually do that. I was joking. Please do not actually ask him."

***

Poor Marlene 💀

Words: 961