Part 34- Comatose Friend.

Chapter 34

Kylie's POV

I know that bringing those responsible for our accident to the authorities will not bring Sophie back from her coma, but at least justice will be served. I think they tampered with our brakes when we entered the club. That must be the reason the men in dark suits didn't bother to follow us when we were speeding out of the premises. Brian and Gina came right away when they heard about what had happened. It took me a few days to walk around, but when I got a little better, I made it my mission to expose the brothel. I explained everything to everyone about why we went to East Legon, and you can't imagine how I got scolded for doing that. Sophie should be the one getting scolded the most, but she's out of the coverage area. One look at Alex, and my heart breaks into a million pieces, not to mention Sophie's parents. I miss her smile and everything about her. With the help of James and the girl we rescued from the brothel, we managed to report their activities. This time around, the evidence was too huge for the case to be dismissed.

"I don't want you getting involved. It's dangerous. Those people might come after us," Justin had warned and insisted I let him and James handle the situation, but I was adamant. I wanted to do it for Sophie and myself. They put my unborn child in danger.

The case was dismissed the first time we reported it to the police, but with the intervention of Sophie's parents, James, and some powerful people they knew, we were able to halt their activities. The confession of Michaela helped, and the police were finally able to capture the men in dark suits. I'm making it sound easy, but trust me, it wasn't easy catching them because they had contacts in the police force. We had to go to the IGP to present our case. They didn't even believe Michaela's testimony at first until she did the drug test, which came out positive. Also, her parents had reported her missing. Even though the guys in dark suits have been caught, I'm very sure the activities of the brothel will continue somewhere else. These things don't get sorted out easily like that. I'm certain they have branches elsewhere, but I can't be the heroine in bringing them all to justice. I have a family to protect. With the kind of prison system that we have in Ghana, those men will spend a long time in Ankafo prison.

At the end of everything, I come back to a comatose friend who is supposed to have her wedding ceremony on the 14th of February. She had always wanted to have a Valentine wedding, and when the time came for her to finally live that dream, this happened. Although the doctors keep telling us that only a miracle can bring her out of her coma, we are still hopeful. She is a bubbly girl who has the spirit of a fighter; she will fight her way back to life. That is the kind of faith I have in her. She is my Sophie! The life of the party and the reason behind the smiles of many people.

"Hey, it's my second time going for my scan. And guess what? It's a boy the first time I checked." I take a clean, wet towel and wipe her face with it. She looks so pale, and her lips are so dry. I take a lip gloss from my bag and apply it to her lips. I inhale deeply, preventing the tears from falling down my face.

"Get well soon, Soph. There's so much that awaits you." I take her hand in mine and wipe a tear from my eye.

"Are you crying again?" Alex startles me.

"No, something entered my eye or..."

"Or it's the hormones," he interrupts before I could finish. We both chuckle. "You've been blaming your tears on your hormonal changes for as long as I can remember. You don't have to cry. She will be fine. And I appreciate you and Christine for all that you've been doing for her."

"Are you kidding me? She's our best friend. If not us, then who?" He puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. Christine is handling some marketing stuff in her company's other branch in Kumasi, but she spares time to come see Sophie and also check up on Diane, who is with her grandparents. She's now a busy bee. I'm letting go of Sophie's hand when I suddenly feel her respond to me. I turn to look at Alex, who immediately rushes to call the doctor.

"It's natural for her to respond to you because you bring her comfort, but it doesn't mean anything. Her condition is still the same, but keep doing what you're doing; who knows? God can perform a miracle." I break into tears, and Alex pulls me into a hug. I know this hurts him as much as it hurts all of us, but he is trying to be strong for Sophie's family. Her elder brother came from the US just recently when he heard of what has happened.

If I could turn back the hands of time, I would have reversed our whole experience that night. Maybe then, Sophie wouldn't be in this condition. My heart breaks whenever I think about that night. Never in my life have I imagined something like this could ever happen. We now live every second of our life, fearing she might leave us at any moment.

We go to the hospital every day to pay her a visit. From bringing her favorite food and flowers to buying her chocolates. Each one of us informs her of how our day has been and how we are doing. I mostly tell her about how I'm frustrating Justin at home, and she's the second person I showed my first ultrasound to. Her work associates from ACT also pay her a visit sometimes. Alex basically sleeps at the hospital. He only goes home to change and gets right back. He says he doesn't want to miss the moment when she opens her eyes. If I didn't have Justin by my side, I'd be so jealous because Sophie won a lottery with Alex. He is one in a trillion. Such good men are hard to come by, but fortunately for Sophie and me, we found them. I didn't add Christine because her type of boyfriend is what we find on the market every day. She told me they nearly broke up. I don't know how many times I should tell her that she can co-parent with Jeremiah just fine without getting involved with him romantically, but she always says, "We love each other. Love can sail through anything." I just nod and look at her without saying a word. Jeremiah is scared of trying out everything. I'm glad I fell for the right Rhode brother. Sometimes it baffles me at how Christine has lowered her standards so much for him. I pray he one day realizes how much she has had to sacrifice for him. All in the name of love. But who am I to judge her relationship when she's clearly comfortable with it? She sees the toxicity as sweetness. Keep it up Samira Christine Zami!!