Part 25- Goodbye London!

Chapter 25

I sniffle, not because I'm smelling something unpleasant, but because I'm crying. Grandma Lisa takes my hand in hers and caresses it.

"When I got pregnant with James, I was so angry at myself because I felt it would stand in the way of the plans Greg and I had. Greg's father had built R&E only in London and Austria, and it was doing very well. That was what he left Greg. But I wanted us to have something in our own name, so I pushed him into opening other branches in Ghana and some other parts of Africa, so we had to relocate to Ghana. And I tell you, it wasn't easy at all. We weren't finding investors who were willing to believe and be part of building R&E Africa, despite knowing how well R&E was doing in London and Australia. And I got pregnant, too. I wanted to terminate the pregnancy, but imagine if I had done that? You wouldn't be married to Justin now because his dad wouldn't have been born."

"Why are you telling me this?" I ask in a low voice.

"Because I know how scared you are of pregnancy. And it's totally normal. I was, too. I thought our dream of building R&E Africa wouldn't come true, but it did. Giving birth to James became one of the biggest blessings in disguise. We found investors, and we were able to make R&E Africa happen. I'll always thank my dad for advising me into keeping my pregnancy. So if ever... if ever you find yourself in the same situation as mine, remember you can always do anything you set your mind to. Pregnancy doesn't put an end to dreams; it just makes you put your dreams on hold. And sometimes, things turn out much better." I don't know what to say, so I just gather myself into her arms.

And just like that, the festive season is over. The UK embassy didn't even give us three days to stay in their wonderful country; they are sending us back to Ghana on 2nd January. I don't know about James and Julia, but I guess they'll be staying for a while.

"It was so nice seeing you again, Kylie. Uh-huh, I'd like to know what happened between Jenny and you." A smirk escapes my lips as I flash Jenny a look.

"Of course, Mrs. Grace! I will gladly do that." I'm still looking at Jenny as I say this. She looks like she wants to soil her pants.

"Mom! They have a flight to catch." She jumps into the conversation nervously. I brush her aside and tell her mother I can summarize it for her. Jenny draws closer to me and whispers into my ears. "Please! Don't tell her anything. I'm begging you."

"And what do I get in return?" I whisper back.

"Anything! I promise! I'll leave you alone, and you will never see Laura and me again." I had no idea she is that scared of her mom, but I agree to her proposal.

"What are you two whispering about?"

"Nothing, Mrs. Grace. Jenny was just telling me she wants to get featured in a music video." I reply with a smirk. "And about why Jenny, Laura, and I are no longer friends, it's just because we all took different paths in life after Senior High school." I say, looking at Jenny. She sighs in relief. Mrs. Grace seems to have bought my story. I see Jenny and her bestie having an argument, which I'm sure is about the deal she made with me. I can't believe a 26-year-old is still scared of her mother. It's so funny.

"Check your weight! Models aren't supposed to be fat." Laura snickers at me. I raise a brow at Jenny. I thought we had an agreement? She smiles nervously.

I am so glad we are finally leaving this excessive cold and wearing of turtlenecks, winter jackets, overcoats, and all those heavy scarves around the neck. Although I must confess, I'll miss watching how the snow falls and how Justin makes me hot chocolates every morning and every evening before I go to bed. I am also very surprised at how I didn't hear so many questions from Diane. It seems her tongue zipped up because of the variety of food around and the presence of Sam, Jenny's little brother. Grandma Lisa made sure to pamper her with Pizza and fries, and her friendship with Sam really helped. It kind of kept her busy and prevented her from putting her mouth in adult conversations and asking questions that children her age usually don't ask.

"Justin! Is it true that your wife works in a nightclub?" The level of freedom being in Ghana gives is something we should really appreciate. We get out of our car only to be asked such a question by the paparazzi. I immediately put my nose mask on.

"Justin, I heard you had a new tattoo. Can we see it?"

"Don't worry, we are going back to Ghana. So video us all you want; you might not see us here till next Christmas." Justin shouts back politely and makes way for me to enter the airport. Not before I hear one question for Jeremiah.

"Is that your daughter? Can we get a selfie? And why are all the Rhode brothers going in for Africans?" Alex and Sophie are lucky because nobody knows them. That is one disadvantage of being married into a famous family. But I think I'm a celebrity on my own because of my work. It's only later that the paparazzi's question hits me. "How did they know I worked in a club?" I soliloquy. I hope it's not what I'm thinking.