Part 3- Meeting an old lover

Chapter 3

I guess it's always been our thing to prioritize work over everything, but I must admit, Justin always tries. Sometimes he cancels meetings so we can spend time together, and I appreciate that. But it's different for him; he's his own boss, while I work with others. My career depends on endorsement deals and assignments.

If there's anyone who's good at avoiding conversations and people, it'd be Justin. I know he's mad deep down, but he's acting like everything is okay and that nothing is bothering him.

So," I start, and he lifts his head from his toasted bread and egg with avocados, staring at me. "My commercial shoot is before noon. I'll catch up with you at the airport." He nods, gets up, sips his coffee, and heads out. Without a word or even a goodbye kiss. We'll discuss it in the car; he drives me to work on big days.

"I promise I'll make it on time, but for now, could you please roll up the windows?" I gesture to the window, and he smiles. At least he's back. Despite disagreements, we make sure to resolve them before work. He grabs the back of my neck and kisses me. His lips are warm and soft, as usual. They part slightly, allowing my tongue in, but I pull away. It's too early for car intimacy.

After Daniel and I parted ways in high school, I never thought I'd see him again. I've never mentioned that Daniel Miller is my ex-boyfriend. We dated back in SHS 3, but things ended abruptly when he cheated with Jenny—the same Jenny who not only ridiculed me for not getting into college but also stole my boyfriend. 'Stole' doesn't even capture it because Daniel played his part too. He's the reason I avoided love until Justin came along. Wondering why I didn't cut ties with Jenny? Well, as I always say, I'll never fight over a man, especially not with my then-best friend. I'm classier than that. I let them be, but you know, karma caught up with them; their relationship barely lasted a month.

"Kylie Rhode Evans! Who'd have thought I'd be working with you?" He greets me with a boyish grin. He's always been a flirt, and that hasn't changed. "You haven't changed one bit, still as beautiful as always," he comments, and I force a smile.

"And you're still as dark as ever. How unpleasant to meet you again!" I reply, still forcing a smile. I mean it though; he's still as dark as the last time I saw him, with his pink lips and athletic body.

"Come on, be kind," he says, feigning heartbreak, clutching his chest. We're sitting on the couch at the house where the video will be shot. He gets up and kneels before me, his hands on my thighs.

"Do you flirt with married women too? Or do you not know I'm married?" I wave my left hand in front of his face. He backs off and settles on the sofa opposite me.

"Who doesn't know you're married? The wedding of the century! Bigger than Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas' wedding," he remarks. I roll my eyes and head to the dressing room.

I keep checking my watch. We're done with the bathtub scenes with Daniel shirtless in the scene. I can imagine the fuss Justin will make if this advertisement airs. My hair's already dyed and straightened, and I must admit, I love the look. The brown suits my skin tone.

We're finished with all the commercial shoots, left only with the photo shoots for the magazine cover. Daniel has oil smeared over his body as he approaches me. He's in tight boxers, revealing quite a bit. I look away, but I think he notices and smiles.

"Don't flatter yourself! I've seen better," I sneer, still averting my eyes.

"I know you've seen better. If being gay was legal in Ghana, I'd totally date your husband," he says casually, shocking me. He's pulled his boxers down a bit. If that's the shoot's costume, why did he arrive like that? Total jerk!

I'm almost losing my mind. My driver says the car broke down, so he's taken it to the mechanic, and the Bolt service isn't available. It's nearly noon, and I might miss my flight.

"Relax, Kylie! I'm sure Justin will understand," Leslie reassures me. Working with her for so long, I've grown close to her. I see her like the elder sister I never had. Though in her late thirties, she looks younger. Very petite.

"You act like you don't know Justin. I've postponed this trip for ages; he'll think I found a way to bail on him," I say, still trying to arrange a ride.

"Thank you for letting me take this vacation, Leslie."

"You deserve it! For all these years that I've worked with you, you've done nothing but work hard and dedicate your life to this. Take as long as you want and enjoy with your friends and family. Mexico is beautiful."

"What a coincidence! I'm flying to Mexico today," Daniel chimes in uninvited. I glare at him, and he immediately backs off.

"Do you two know each other? I've noticed how you jerk away whenever he approaches," Leslie asks, even before I can respond, making it sound like he was the love of my life back in high school.