Part 5- The Breakup

Chapter 5

I've visited Mexico a few times for work, but Cancun is a new experience. Everything is lavish here. After a 13-hour flight, everyone must be exhausted. We had good food on the plane, although Sophie and Alex might feel differently.

"What's this, Señor?" Sophie asks the chef, showing off her improved Spanish skills after living in the US. Most Americans don't speak Spanish, but many Mexicans live there, like Selena Gomez and Camila Cabello.

"These are Tostadas with frijoles and cheese."

"What's this, Sophie?" I ask, slightly hesitant.

"It's diving into the Mexican experience. This vacation is about fun, trying new things, bonding, and exploring. So, stop complaining and dig in." I wonder who allowed her to order these unfamiliar dishes.

"You're right!" Christine agrees and starts enjoying the food. Soon, everyone is doing the same, and I join in. I have to admit, it's surprisingly tasty. I dish out more for myself, avoiding eye contact but guessing everyone's reactions.

"Watch the weight, girl! It took me a year of intense training to lose weight after Diane was born." I look up from my food at Christine, and suddenly, I choke. The coughing is loud and almost painful. Justin repeatedly taps my back gently until I regain composure, gulping water down my not-so-thirsty throat.

After dating Jeremiah Evans for a year—refusing to call him Rhode—Christine and Jeremiah ended their loving relationship. The cause of the breakup is known only to Sophie and me. We can't let the Rhode brothers find out. Ever! It all stemmed from a false pregnancy scare. I vividly remember the pain in Christine's eyes. After missing her period for a month, she thought she was pregnant. The best thing to do at that time was to discuss it with her partner and take a test together. That's what Christine did, but Jeremiah's reaction was worse than a celebrity breakup.

"We were having fun. What makes you think I want a baby now? Either you get rid of it or we're done. SORT THIS MESS OUT YOURSELF!" Christine told me his exact words. I never thought Christine could be so vulnerable. After that, he left her feeling broken. She drove to my place, and we discovered the test was negative. She wasn't pregnant; her period was just late. When Jeremiah found out she wasn't pregnant, he came back, begging for forgiveness.

I'll always say this: I don't understand why Christine forgave and went back to him. If Justin had done that to me, I'd have left him immediately. But she went back. And then, the thing that nearly broke her happened—she got pregnant for real. I know I sound judgmental, but I couldn't help but call her a fool. She left him after finding out about the pregnancy without explaining. He cut ties, assuming she was cheating when she wasn't. He's trash, even though he's my brother-in-law.

"Speaking of Diane, how's she? I heard you got dumped." I've recovered from my choking fit, and I'm ready to punch Jeremiah. He has this annoying smile I want to wipe with my fist, but he's out of reach. I don't want to ruin my designer top for him.

"Yeah, he did, just like how I dumped you. We're all dumped now." I don't need to worry about hitting him when I have a friend who can deliver punchlines that wipe that smile off. I burst into laughter first, followed by Sophie and Gina. Justin isn't laughing. Understandable! He's torn between his wife and his brother, while Brian tries hard to hide his laughter. Jeremiah's girlfriend doesn't find it funny. She's his rebound!"