Part 12

Chapter 12

I don't know what's worse: the current heartbreak I'm having or the fact that my flirty ex-boyfriend just saw me drowning myself in tears. He takes a seat beside me, and for some time, we sit in silence. It's not an awkward one; it's the kind that makes you reflect and get your words together.

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Mm-hmm."

"Am I a difficult person? Or am I a very shitty person?"

"Why do you ask that?"

"I just need you to answer!"

"Yes! You're an extremely difficult person, but in a nice way. You know what you want and you go for it. You have a beautiful heart, and when you love someone, you do your best to see them happy. You know your limits and set boundaries for yourself.

"But..." I prompt, knowing what will follow.

He smiles and continues. "But sometimes your strong-headedness is intimidating. It's like you force your ideas and perceptions on people. And sometimes you're a bit too judgmental. Overall, I think you're an awesome person. Even your flaws make you who you are. Anyone would be happy to have you. You just need to open your heart and learn how to forgive. That's your major problem. You lack forgiveness for people."

I feel bad that our one-month vacation has to come to an abrupt end because of Justin and me. But after everything, I couldn't bring myself to spend another minute with him.

"Have a safe flight to the US!"

"And who's going to the US? After my bar exams, I got an offer from ACT Law firm, so we're moving back to Ghana." This is the best news I've gotten in a long time, and I wish I could raise Sophie in my arms and scream my lungs out in excitement, but my voice is gone.

"That is so great, Sophie. I'm really happy for you. ACT is a big law firm in Accra." I congratulate her excitedly. "I'm sorry I can't travel with you guys. I hope you understand?" I turn to Alex and Brian. Justin is standing at the far end of the airport with his brother. It's a good thing because I don't want to see him.

"That's fine! I'm sure you girls have some patching up to do." Alex assures and looks over at where Christine is. I haven't spoken to her after what she said to me. The boys are taking a normal flight, while I pleaded with Leslie to send me the agency's private plane for emergencies.

Brian cups my cheeks in his palms and says, "You're an awesome person, don't ever forget that, and I'm sure you and Justin will sail through this one." I nod and turn to Michelle. I learned from Gina and Sophie that she broke up with Jeremiah. That's what I call a woman who knows what she wants and what she's worth.

"I'm so sorry I acted bitchy towards you. I had no idea I was fighting a lost battle." She smiles and takes my hand in hers.

"Don't worry. I understand where you're coming from. I hope you and Justin work things out! I'm sure you will!" I never thought I'd ever give her a hug, but I pull her into a warm embrace.

"I'm so sorry for what Christine did to you. And if it's any consolation, I hope to see you soon, and you're always welcome to join this friendship." I whisper in her ears, and she smiles. We're both teary-eyed.

The plane takes off after some time. I don't know why we did all that sappy scene at the airport when we were all going to sit in the same plane.

"If you guys ever need to go for couples therapy, I'll always be here and won't charge you a thing."

"No, thank you!"

"Why? It will really help."

"Yes, I know, but having my friend be my therapist? Who does that?" I stick my tongue out quickly and pull it back in. I don't have a mirror to see how my face looks, but I'm sure it's funny because they're all laughing. It breaks my heart to see Christine sitting all alone in a corner while we're laughing without her. But after what she said, I fear my attempt to get close might suffocate her. I still can't believe the people I call my own think so little of me.

"Kylie, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry I said all those nasty things to you. You didn't deserve it at all." The whole space in the plane goes silent. I think no one was expecting an early apology from Christine. She has never been the type to openly apologize, much less in front of people.

"I felt bad and frustrated, but I emptied all of them on you, which I shouldn't have. You're the most amazing woman anyone can have as a friend. So selfless! You don't even have that huge pride that Sophie and I have