Part 9

Chapter 9

I observe Justin and can't suppress my laughter; Esmeralda and her team are exhausting him. He believed my job was merely posing in front of a camera, but he's discovering it's much more complex. He looks fantastic in a simple summer outfit, with oil enhancing his six-pack and biceps.

"Step further into the sea for the perfect picture," instructs the photographer. Justin and I exchange eye rolls, disagreeing with Esmeralda's direction.

Next comes the interview. Leslie has prepped us on which questions to tackle and which to avoid. I wear black wrap shorts and a white sleeveless top; Justin dons brown shorts and a black t-shirt. Questions revolve around my work with Esme Magazine and Justin's role as the President of R&E Manufacturing Africa. His responses are concise, considering the responsibilities of leading such a company.

Can any couple interview dodge personal inquiries?

"Let's shift to your married life," Esmeralda's face lights up. I'm relieved we've moved the interview to Cancun, dodging her territory; otherwise, she'd manipulate the conversation. "Your marriage was widely covered. How's it been for you both?" Justin takes my hand.
"No marriage is without challenges. We work through things as best we can," Justin begins.
"That's what everyone says," Esmeralda nods, smiling a little. "Kylie, do you think people only know you because you're married to Justin?" I scoff at her query.
"I don't think people go through Justin before contacting me."
"But doesn't media attention suffocate you two? Hasn't it affected your marriage?"
"No, it hasn't. There are no paparazzi in Ghana, so we're safe," Justin's humor lightens the mood.

"Here's a picture of a heated argument. Isn't it inappropriate given your public attention?" I'm stunned by the captured moments. Paparazzi isn't a thing in Ghana, but it seems influential in Mexico. It's likely all over social media, though I'm not much into it anymore.

"I think it's private, and we'd rather not comment," Justin steps in as I fumble with words.

"We'll respect that," a crew member responds in Spanish, which neither of us understands. Esmeralda's Mexican accent shines through in her English.

"Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Evans! We hope to hear baby news soon," she concludes the interview. It's odd how people expect children immediately after marriage, as if they're more interested than we are. I suspect Leslie helped conclude the interview.

"Gracias, Señora," I thank the waitress as she serves our food. It's our first alone-time dinner since the vacation began.

"Disfrute de su comida!" The waitress laughs at our puzzled expressions. "I mean, enjoy your meal."
"Ah-ha!" I reply, and she chuckles. Being in a non-English speaking country poses some challenges.

"I guess we need to watch how we act; someone is always watching."
"I know," I respond. "I was surprised; I checked social media, but found no pictures. I suppose Leslie took them down." We share a laugh, finding humor in being significant even at our worst.