Part 23

Chapter 23

The times when Grandma Lisa and Greg came down to Ghana for Christmas were the best, although it wasn't every year that they made it. But it was still one of the times I really enjoyed. I think that was because Laura and Jenny weren't present during those times, and Julia's comments no longer had any effects on me. Well, it never has. I'm relieved that this season will be over soon, and I can return to my life, which is free from an unpleasant mother-in-law and the two stepsisters of Cinderella.

"What's with Grandma dragging everyone to church? I never knew she was this religious," Jenny says with her head buried in her phone. "I'm glad I was able to escape her today. I love going to church, but I don't want to spend the rest of my Christmas there," Mrs. Grace responds. I just sit quietly, watching them talk about Grandma Lisa's obsession with Christianity. I sit properly in the armchair and suddenly start sniffing. There's this unpleasant smell coming from somewhere.

"What's that smell?" I ask, but all I get are stares instead of an answer. Sophie finally emerges with plates of something I don't even know the name of. "This is The Most Amazing Texas Sheet cake," she places a plate in front of everyone. She ignores the space beside Alex on the three-seater couch and settles beside Laura. I can't believe she would prefer to sit with Laura than Alex. This is serious! I bring the cake close to my mouth and drop it back on the plate immediately.

"Are you okay?" Justin pulls closer to me on the futon. "This should be called Texas Shit cake instead of Sheet cake," I cover my nose with my hand. "That is so mean! I learned this recipe while I was schooling in the US. You could at least appreciate the fact that I didn't burn the kitchen down making this."

"These are actually good," Alex compliments with his mouth full but only receives a cold, angry stare in return. "How can a girl born somewhere in the Slums of Accra enjoy food as classy as this?" Did I forget to mention that Julia is in the living room with us? I guess I did. And as usual, she doesn't cease the opportunity to remind me where I came from. Laura and Jenny snort.

"I've seen you antagonizing Kylie ever since we got here. It's really funny because you pretty much had nothing when my brother married you," and that is Mrs. Grace stepping in for me, although I can really handle Julia. I promise! She laughs and continues, "You still have nothing. I think you should really learn from Kylie." She raises her glass to her and walks out. For the first time, someone has said something that has got Julia quiet. Justin buries his head in embarrassment as he misses his mom awkwardly leave our midst. Although he doesn't say it, I know he really feels bad whenever his mom makes such comments or pulls some childish prank on us, like inviting Laura to come here. But who am I to complain about bringing a stranger to our family reunion when I also brought my friends here? I wish I can tell him that he is not to be blamed for his mother's actions. I sniff once more, inhaling the unpleasant smell of the food Sophie just placed in front of me. I inhale deeply, sucking in the vomit that wants to escape my mouth.

"What is going on with you? The last time, you said the doll Diane got on the morning of 26th smelled disgusting. And you also said Sam's toy car smelled like it just came from the gutter," Sophie saves the day by drawing attention away from the very uncomfortable situation we're all in. I lower my body down and rest my head on Justin's laps.

"I think your boobs are getting bigger," I make a face and pass my hands to my breast. Justin looks down at me and affirms what he had said earlier. Laura rolls her eyes at us and pulls Jenny away. Not just away, loudly shuffling her feet to irritate me.

"Sophie." We all turn our attention to Alex as if we are all called Sophie. "We need to talk." I open my eyes wide. This is the boldest thing he has done since we got here. I've even come to believe that Sophie's not so scary stares are intimidating him and scaring him away from having a decent talk with her. When she remained adamant in moving away from us to talk privately, the poor guy finally speaks.

"I am so sorry about what happened. I don't know how many times you want me to explain to you that she forced herself on me. And I know, I know I am a big jerk by reciprocating that kiss but it just took me by surprise." I don't know about everyone, but I'm suppressing my chuckle.

"I thought architects are supposed to draw building plans all day. I had no idea you had time to be smooching with your clients," Justin jokes and I punch him in the belly. "I told you not to talk to me about that. We are only here together because of Justin and Kylie. Don't ruin everyone's mood."

"Screw that! You're only using that as an excuse," his voice goes up. Justin and I exchange glances not sure what to say. Christine and Jeremiah will be perfect for these kinds of things because they've been back and forth in their relationship but it is unfortunate they're not here. They couldn't escape Grandma Lisa this time.

"I just left you for some few days so I could settle well into the Firm, and I came back only to find you cheating, and you want me to forgive you?"

"I am sorry. I know what I did is inexcusable. Please forgive me. I'm so so sorry. I love you, Soph." Alex suddenly goes on his knees, hugging her thighs. If there's anything that can make Sophie forgive the biggest of mistakes, it's this act. Kneeling in front of her. It makes her so weak at every point. At the juncture, my head is up from Justin's laps and staring at what Sophie will do next. And just like I was expecting, she helps him up and plants a soft kiss on his lips which Alex reciprocated into a rather rough one. I look upstairs and find Laura and Jenny looking down at them. They quickly enter into their room when my gaze met theirs. I wasn't a very horny person when I was single, but after I met and got married to Justin, everything changed. Even a harmless kiss from Alex and Sophie makes me wet. I look at Justin only to notice how hard he has come. We both laugh and disappear into our room.

******
I'm putting my t-shirt on when Justin suddenly moves closer, staring intensely at my breast. "I didn't understand why you were wincing anytime I touched them but I think I know now. Your breast is swollen, and the tiny bumps are now getting bigger. The circle around your nipples is darker now." I push him aside and turn to the mirror. I shriek at the sight of my swollen breast."