Part 18- "Can you all please put the phones down?"

Chapter 18

I wake up extremely late, only to find out Justin has made breakfast, and together with Ariana, they've helped Diane get ready for school. He has even packed her lunch and tied her hair into a pigtail. A responsible father for a day. He's already dressed for the PTA, which I've totally forgotten about. I get my bath and dress up as quickly as I can, joining them. I jump into the front seat, panting.

"You're so late. I'll tell my teacher to punish you for being so late," Diane glowers at me. I exchange looks with Justin, and we both huff.

******

I slip my sunglasses on immediately as we get to the school premises. I really applaud Christine for getting her daughter into the only African-American school in this country. Everything is done as per the American schooling system.

"Why is everyone looking at us?"

"Because... I'm in 6-inch décolleté heels. Pfft! People are just intimidated by my height," I say. Diane scoffs, and Justin laughs.

"Everyone wears high heels, Kylie." You heard that right! I told her not to call me aunty. So she thinks calling me by my name is more 'respectful.' Thank God Jeremiah will pick her up after school and take her straight home. I don't need more of this drama before we all go for the Christmas family reunion.

PTA meetings have always been boring. It's all about teachers complaining to parents about their children and how they expect them to live life in school. Extremely pathetic. So lame. One look at Justin's face, and I can see he is as bored as I am. No wonder we don't have kids. One thing that totally caught my attention was one woman who took the microphone to complain about her daughter, who was beaten up by her classmate. It turns out the incident was caused because her daughter was verbally bullying her colleagues. Then another student stepped in to help. It's so fascinating. Even kids in the third grade are doing this.

"I think it's really good that another kid stood up for someone who was being bullied," I respond to the woman without knowing I am being heard. I'm asked to get up, and I have to remove my sunglasses. Just at that moment, I see people taking out their phones.

"Can you all please put the phones down?" Thank God they listened. "I was bullied several times while in junior high. My mates thought it was funny, but only I know the kind of trauma I went through. I had friends, but no one stood up for me, so I'm really glad a kid here stood up to it. This is a great institution, and I hope you can launch an anti-bullying campaign because you have no idea what these little trolls do to children's confidence. And ma'am, I'm really sorry, but your daughter totally deserved that beating." I don't even look at the woman. I settle back in my seat. Justin starts clapping before everyone else joins in. This new Justin of mine is so supportive of everything.

After the meeting, the principal approaches me and asks if I want to do a short commercial on anti-bullying in schools. It's a good cause, so I gladly agree. And it didn't surprise me when I found out Diane was the kid who beat the girl, and that Christine and Jeremiah already knew about it. Neither Justin nor I are surprised. Diane took after her mother's feistiness.

I heard some people murmuring and whispering against what I said. I in no way support violence, but you don't hurt people and expect them to react calmly. Everyone responds to things in a way that suits them. We go over to Diane to say goodbye to her.

"Why didn't you tell me you two are famous?" She throws the question at us, just like she has been doing all the time.

"And why didn't you also tell us you beat a kid?" Justin questions her back.

"Because Nicolette is a bitch. She bullies everyone." We both open our mouths in surprise. "Yes! I know! My mom told me not to use that word. But you see that white kid over there?" She points to a girl at the corner. "She says stuff like that all the time."

"You're not supposed to learn them," I tell her. "You adults are so weird. I hear my mom and dad say fuck all the time, but they'll tell me not to say it."

"Oh... Fuck..!"

"Justin!" I hit him on the shoulder, but he's laughing way too much to be stopped.

"You see!" She shrugs and points a finger at Justin before running to take her seat.

"You're so predictable," I say, laughing my heart out.

"Hello... can I... can I get a picture?" We both turn to the unfamiliar voice. It's Diane's teacher. Justin and I steal glances before taking the photo. I had no idea teachers need photos with celebrities. What am I saying? They're people too.

"I really need to tell Christine to be careful about the kind of language they use around Diane. They have a grandma who has been reincarnated into a child in their house." Justin buries his face in the steering wheel and lets out all the laughter in his heart. This has been an amazing experience.