Part 24- Nostalgia

Chapter 24

Whatever it is I'm going through at the moment might be stress. The only person that can tell me what might be going on with me has been busy planning Christmas parties at Church. It was because of Grandma Lisa that we all came down to London to celebrate Christmas, but she has ditched and dragged almost all of us to church. There are so many people around, but it's as boring as having no one around. She finally decided to throw a party on New Year's Eve. And can you imagine the people she invited? I thought this old lady was spicy, but she has turned out to be like all old ladies in the world. Boring! All the people I've seen walking through that door are old and cranky neighbors and church members. How gross! Not to mention how off my mood has been lately and how huge my appetite has gotten. I'm scared Leslie might fire me when I go back to work.

"The third time?" I nod as Christine pulls my wig back so it doesn't fall in the toilet bowl. Sophie and Christine help me get my tired body up from the washroom floor. I should be enjoying the party in the white evening gown Grandma Lisa gave me, but I'm too weak to even stand on my own.

"Do you think it's the American dishes that were served?" Sophie asks, and I nod. "It's definitely that one. Just like Mexico, my body reacts badly to new things," I reply.

"Very terribly," Christine adds, and I can hear the sarcasm in her voice. "You could be pregnant. Stop ignoring that possibility." I manage to give her an angry stare despite being so weak.

"You said the same thing the last time, but it wasn't pregnancy. Maybe it's just an allergic reaction."

"Sure, keep telling yourself that." We are out of the washroom and sitting somewhere away from the old folks. The party is as boring as being in a nursing home and attending your great-grandmother's birthday. Laura and Jenny snuck out earlier when Mrs. Grace wasn't looking. Jenny's father is so calm. I've hardly heard a word from him since we arrived here. He only smiles politely at me whenever we cross paths and just moves. I feel too bloated to even get up. Whatever this illness is, it better go away before I go back to Ghana. My Visa expires a day after New Year. Those Embassy people are really mean; they didn't even add an additional day. So mean! As for Justin, he can stay as long as he wants because he is a citizen. Jeremiah and Ariana are the unlucky people who were born and bred in Ghana. Justin is James and Julia's first child, so Grandma Lisa made sure Julia gave birth in London so she could take care of her. Wondering where Julia's parents are? They are dead! Her parents died before she got married to James. After giving birth to Justin, she decided to take care of Jeremiah and Ariana by herself. I must say, she did a good job. Talking of Ariana, that girl has more secrets than I thought. I've seen less of her lately. I guess she is trying to get a London boyfriend.

I push the weakness aside and join Justin and my friends at a nearby bar, leaving Grandma Lisa to enjoy her old people party.

"I'm so shy... I'm so pretty and he likes that..." We arrive just in time to dance to "So Pretty" by Rayanna Maria. I learned the lyrics of this song because of Justin. I remember when we got married; he was so obsessed with the song that he played it almost ten times a day. In his car, office, and even at home. I eventually had to jam to it because I was hearing too much of it. And here we are, on the dance floor of a bar, dancing to it once again. I'm sure my friends are asking, "Isn't she the one who was so sick a while ago?" They're getting themselves drunk at the counter. It's so cold even in the comfort of the bar that I have to put on Justin's coat.

Sophie jumps to the next song, and we can't help but all join in. "Hey boy, I really wanna see if you can go downtown with a girl like me. Hey boy, I really wanna be with you, 'cause you're just my type. Oh nah nah nah. I need a boy to take it over, looking for a guy to put in work ah. Oh oh oh, oh oh oh oh. Oh nah nah what's my name..." Singing and shouting at the top of our voices to an old Rihanna song. I mean, who doesn't love Rihanna? With Justin twirling me around and my friends shaking their bodies, it just reminds me of Black Alley. A sudden nostalgic emotion sweeps me off my feet, and I suddenly feel overwhelmed with sadness. I slowly leave the dance floor and settle on one of the chairs.

Sophie and Christine laugh their way to where I'm seated, but their laughter disappears when they notice my expression. They grab seats and settle beside me.

"What's wrong?" Christine asks.

"Nothing," I reply and chuckle. "The whole place kind of reminds me of Black Alley."

"Hmm. Yeah! But I'm actually glad that happened. I mean, if Black Alley hadn't burnt down, we'd have never pushed ourselves to pursue higher dreams," Sophie adds, and we all nod. We look over at the boys and wonder what they're whispering to each other about. They leave the bar through the back door. I don't know if it's a back door, but that's what I'm thinking."