Part 11- Unveiling Secrets and Heatbreak

Chapter 11

"Did you all hear everything?"

"Yes," they all chime in, and I hide my face in my palm, overwhelmed with embarrassment.

"It's a good thing we have the whole 7th floor to ourselves, considering how loudly you guys were talking," Sophie remarks, her voice filled with concern.

"I had no clue he felt that way about me, about my job... Gosh!" I wipe a tear from the corner of my eye.

"I feel like I don't even recognize the person I'm married to anymore. It's like he's completely changed."

"Could it be that you two rushed into marriage without dealing with your individual issues?" I can't say Gina is wrong, but I've contemplated that too. Maybe we should have taken more time to understand each other. Well, she's a therapist, so she might know, but I'm not about to give her the satisfaction of admitting it.

"Don't try to analyze me," I say, forcing a slight smile.

"Perhaps you can never truly understand someone," Christine adds, gazing into space.

"You're right! I had no idea one of my closest friends still has a thing for emotionally troubled men." And just like that, Sophie blurts it out. We hadn't brought up anything about what we witnessed that night, but I guess now's the right time to address it.

"What's this all about?" Gina looks puzzled. I can't blame her; she's completely unaware.

"Why don't we ask Christine?" I sit up on the couch and gesture toward Christine with my right hand.

"What are you referring to?"

"Are you pretending you don't remember? Or did you conveniently forget about kissing Jeremiah at the last party?" Sophie sneers at her.

"Oh, that! I also saw Jeremiah leaving her room last time," Gina says, visibly uncomfortable.

"You're involved with him too? I expected more from you, Christine Samira Zami." Yes, that's her full name. I've never addressed her by it, so you should understand I'm quite serious.

"Is this some sort of collective interrogation? I don't expect anyone to be disappointed in my choices or lack thereof in my life, least of all you, Kylie."

"Why are you getting so defensive? We're just looking out for you as your friends," Sophie retorts sharply.

"Well, don't! I never asked for it." She holds her hand out to us. "Kylie, you act perfect all the time, but you seem unable to help yourself in your marriage. I'm fed up with all of you treating me like I'm the odd one out in this friendship."

"I'm truly sorry if my efforts to help you made you feel inadequate. Maybe I try too hard. I apologize! And yes, I'll work on my marriage!" I shout back at her and storm out of the living room, not before hearing Sophie say to her, "You're so self-absorbed! Sleeping with a man who hurt you twice, not even considering how that would affect the girl he brought along, not even caring about your own dignity as a woman. And then you lash out at the only person who'd move mountains to keep us all happy. I pity you!" I wish I could turn back and tell Sophie to stop before Michelle walks in with the boys and hears everything. But it's too late! She's heard it all. I'm too enraged to cater to her. I close the bedroom door behind me, seething with anger.

**

"Can we discuss this?" I ask Justin, who's drowned himself in alcohol. He reeks of it so strongly that it makes me want to vomit.

"Are you prepared to talk about having children?"

"What's this all about?" He seems to flinch, as though trying to hide something from me. He looks away, avoiding eye contact. "Hey! Look at me!" I turn him around to face me.

"What do you want to know?" He yells so loudly that I take a step back, startled.

"Don't shout at me!" I lament.

"Why shouldn't I? How does a woman who aborted her own child a year into marriage deserve to be treated?"

"What are you saying? What child? And where did you get that idea?

"Don't act clueless! I saw those abortion papers. I saw them! I should have listened to my mom. What did I expect from someone who worked in a club?" Right after his last word, I slap him so hard that I'm worried my ring may leave a mark on his face.

"Is that what you think of me? How long have you resented me for something I never did? FYI, those papers were for Christine! I signed as a witness because your idiotic brother got her pregnant, and she wanted to terminate it. If you were so smart, why didn't you read carefully? I can't believe you have such a low opinion of me. I don't even recognize you anymore." He tries to reach out to me, but I move away. "Don't you dare touch me. I feel sick just looking at you right now!" I open the door to escape, only to find everyone standing there. Why do they always eavesdrop? Jeremiah looks like he's seen a ghost. I sigh in defeat! Our voices were so loud that it has attracted our friends' attention.

"I apologize for failing to fix 'my marriage' and airing your dirty laundry in public."

"Kylie! I'm..."

"No, don't!" I hold my hand out to Christine and walk away from them all in anger. I sprint to the seashore and collapse onto the sand. I pull my knees close and tightly hug them as I cry profusely. It feels like someone has ripped open my chest and taken my heart out. The pain is more intense than anything I've experienced. For the first time in memory, I'm this furious. Neither my friends nor Justin has ever seen me like this. I choke on my tears, relieved that no one attempted to follow me, as I wouldn't have been able to utter a word.

"You shouldn't be sitting here alone on the sand and crying, especially as a celebrity. The paparazzi is always around." A familiar voice, Daniel's, interrupts. Convenient timing!