Part 39

Chapter 39

"I, Sophie McCarthy, promise to love, honor, and respect you as your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health, till love do us part. I'm not saying the journey will be easy because I know I can be a real pain in the neck, but I promise to always be there for you no matter what. And the fact that Justin was able to marry Kylie proves to me that ours is more than possible." Justin and I exchange looks and chuckle.

"Miss Sophie, that wasn't part of the vows."

"I know, pastor! You know, I just needed to add it. You know?" She says jovially, attracting laughter from everyone. No matter where she goes, she spreads happiness.

"I still don't understand why you and Justin didn't go out to celebrate your anniversary."

"Today is more important to you than it is for us. Justin and I are fine. We will do something when we get home. Don't worry." It's our five-year anniversary, and Justin and I decided to put everything aside to support our friends on their big day. Sophie has been dreaming about this day for so long, so much so that I didn't want her to share this day with me. It's ironic how she changed all her wedding plans. Initially, she wanted something fancy and extravagant, but all of a sudden she decided to go with a very simple and intimate wedding. But I can't blame her; after being in a coma for so long, I guess she has realized that you don't need the whole world's approval to do what makes you really happy. And that time is a precious gift that shouldn't be wasted. Life is too short.

"Hey! Hello. Heyyyyy." I shake Christine softly when no response comes from her end. She seems to be lost in her own world. "Where's your head at?" I ask. She heaves a big sigh and cups her cheek in her palm.

"You are the first bride I've seen who is ditching her own wedding reception to gossip with her friends."

"Tsk..tsk..tsk." I shake my head because I know what she's trying to do. She's trying to change the topic like she always does. "Don't! What is bothering you? Don't worry about Sophie and her guests. The reception is almost over, and people are already leaving." She sighs again.

"I am going through so much. I just... I just don't know where to start and how to even tell you girls."

"Start from the beginning," Sophie says tenderly, and I nod in agreement.

"I'm really scared of your reactions. Especially you, Kylie. I am....."

"Guys! Let's go. The bride and groom have to leave the reception." Brian's voice calls out to us.

"Okay. So let them go. Why are you calling all of us?" I brush him aside and turn my attention back to Christine. That is when I realize the bride is sitting right with us.

"Sophie! Get going then!" I pave the way for her to pass.

"No way! And miss out on what's going on with my boo boo? No! I have a much better idea." A mischievous smile escapes her lips. I slump in my seat and huff. I hope it's not one of her crazy ideas.

Her plan of a "better idea" is coming to my house to celebrate Justin's and my anniversary. We get home only to be surprised with beautiful decorations. The dining area on the terrace has been decorated beautifully with food and drinks awaiting us. Justin hugs me from the back and kisses my neck.