Part 26- Scandal

Chapter 26

I am surprised to see Leslie herself coming to pick us up at the airport. She greets the others briefly and asks permission from Justin to drag me away to the agency.

'Why? Did something happen?' Justin asks, looking all concerned.

'What? So none of you know? Did all of you turn off your phones while in London?' Leslie responds and sighs, at which each of us exchanges glances with the other. 'I will explain later. Right now, I need to speak to Kylie. And if you want results now, check social media.' We are beginning to draw attention from people, so we hurry to Leslie's car, leaving Justin and the rest with puzzled looks.

"You are so hard to reach, Kylie!" I can understand where Leslie's anger is coming from. I don't remember the last time I touched my phone. It's like I don't even use that gadget for anything. I just sit quietly as she scolds me and wait for her to tell me what I've done to deserve her not-so-scary anger. 'Someone uploaded a video of you working at a club.' I sit up properly in the chair.

'What... what do you mean?' I stutter.

'What I mean is not important. My question is, do you work in a club?' I shoot her a look. I don't know if I should be disappointed in her question or I should understand where she's coming from.

'First of all, there's nothing wrong in working in a club, and second, I do not work in a club, but I used to work there before I became a model.'

'So why didn't you tell me.'

'Because you never asked, and I didn't think it was important. What's the fuss anyways? Cardi B used to be a stripper before becoming famous.'

'This is not America, Kylie! This is Ghana, and people are very judgmental. Should I remind you of that? This can ruin your brand.' We both sigh in exhaustion. There's now something bigger than my weight to discuss, and I'm surprised Leslie hasn't touched on it. She looks so stressed, and I can't even blame her. We decide to postpone the meeting to tomorrow because it's almost 7 pm.

'I want to believe your weight is not coming from too much eating but something else.' And there it goes! I thought she hasn't noticed it. 'Your body is still in shape; you just gained weight on your face and breast.'

'You're the only person who is not exaggerating this. Thank you, Leslie, and goodnight.' I joke and shut the door gently behind me. I'm glad Justin sent the driver to pick me up because waiting for a taxi or ordering for Bolt will take quite some time, and I don't have the patience to wait.

Having no paparazzi around is one advantage Ghana has over all the other developed countries out there. I had briefed Justin and Ariana about what happened, but they already found the videos on TikTok, Facebook, and even Instagram. I also Skyped with all my friends who kept calling me non-stop to know how the video surfaced online. Brian was the most worried because he didn't understand how that was possible, since he strictly prohibited pictures or videos being taken inside the club. I'm even more worried because Justin has an interview to promote the new product of R&E, and I know that question will definitely come up. Ariana has read some of the comments on blog posts, and they're so judgmental and hurtful. I can't believe this is happening.

Justin hugs me from behind and whispers into my ears. 'Don't worry, everything will be okay.' He wraps his arms around me. For the first time in a long time, I'm really scared for my career. I dress up quickly and leave to meet Leslie.

'We have to grant just one interview to explain how and why you ended up working in a club years back.'

'Is that the only option? Can't we just wait for it all to die down or wait till something else pops up?'

'No, we can't! Ghanaians haven't even forgotten that Asamoah Gyan spoiled the penalty goal years ago.' Leslie is serious, but I can't help but chuckle. She does have a point though. I hate interviews because they ask questions that are so irrelevant and they press your buttons to make you react, but right now, I don't have much of a choice. I'll have to let people in on how my life was years ago and why I decided to work in a club and all other things about my life that I didn't want the public to know. The phone has not stopped ringing, and all we have to do is answer and say 'YES' to one of the television shows.

I go on YouTube to watch Justin's live interview on MTV. He looks so handsome in the white tee and brown chinos, perfectly tucked in without a belt with his favorite white sneaker.

'Your husband has a thing for never looking professional in any of his interviews,' Cameron says, startling me. I didn't know she was standing behind me. I turn my neck and chuckle.

'A video recently surfaced online where your wife is seen wearing "indecent clothes" and waitressing in a club.' Cameron and I exchange glances."