Peeta Mellark x Reader

Summary: It is after the war and you are reunited with your boyfriend Peeta after being apart for a few months and when you reunite he proposes to you.  

Warnings: None

Author's Note: This was requested by Polli2123 hope you enjoy it and it's fluffy enough for you.

It had only been a few months since the war on the Capitol and a lot had changed in those few months. I had been working as a nurse in the districts closest to the Capitol and I hadn't been back to District 12 yet and didn't even know if my boyfriend Peeta had even survived. 

I straighten up and blow a strand of hair out of my face as I finish wrapping the cut in front of me. I noticed the head of the hospital walking over to me and I faced her, she stopped in front of me and says, "You've done a remarkable job here." 

I smile at the high praise before she continues, "We've decided that you can go back to District 12." I feel myself grow excited at the thought of going back home and possibly seeing Peeta again after being apart for months. 

After work, I go to my little apartment and begin packing my belongings in a bag since I would be leaving on a hovercraft first thing tomorrow. All night I toss and turn excited at the prospect of seeing Peeta again. 

The next morning I wake up bright and early and make my way to the landing pad where the Hovercraft was supposed to be. I climb on board take a seat and watch as a few other people climb on board. My legs begin nervously bouncing as the ramp closes and the Hovercraft begins to rise into the air.  

The flight goes by quickly and before I know it we're landing in District 12. I feel butterflies filling my stomach as the ramp lowers and I disembark. I look around and see many people milling around the District with materials to rebuild what had been damaged or destroyed in the bombings. 

I make my way through the District towards the Everdeen house to see if they would know where Peeta would be. I knock on the door and it opens to reveal Ms. Everdeen. As soon as she sees me she pulls me inside and wraps me in a hug. 

I look around the familiar house and smile to myself, I follow her into what they call the kitchen and she asks, "Can I get you anything?" 

I say, "No thank you." I feel something fluffy around my feet and I look down and see Buttercup before leaning down to pick the cat up. Ms. Everdeen says, "I thought you were working closer to the Capitol." 

I smile before I reply, "They let me come here permanently." She smiles back at me as she says, "Well it will be nice to have some help over here." I giggle before setting the cat back down and letting it wander away. 

I swallow before I ask, "Would you happen to know where Peeta is?" I watch as she looks into my eyes and I feel dread fill me waiting for the inevitable answer that he didn't make it but to my immense relief she says, "He's at the bakery." I thank her before quickly rushing from the house and towards the bakery. 

I arrive at the bakery and stop outside the door, I can smell the freshly baked bread and see lights and movement coming from inside. I take a deep breath before pushing the door open and stepping inside. 

  The bell above the door tinkles signaling the arrival of a new customer. I look around my mind filling with happy memories. My eyes finally land on the counter and there he is Peeta. I take in his blonde hair and chiseled jaw and the way the muscles and veins flex and ripple as he kneads the dough on the counter. 

He looks up from the dough and then his beautiful dark brown eyes land on mine. Instantly he's wiping his hands on his apron and moving around the counter. As soon as he's cleared the counter I rush towards him. 

He catches me but stumbles back from the force and I feel his strong arms wrap around me. He pulls away with a grin on his face as he asks breathlessly, "What are you doing here?" 

I reply, "They transferred me here permanently." As soon as those words leave my mouth Peeta presses his lips to mine in a kiss. I melt into it instantly missing the feel of his lips on mine after not seeing him for months. 

That night we're lying in bed and he's holding me close to him we had filled each other in on what we had been doing since the end of the war. I feel him move around before hearing the drawer to his bedside table slide open. He grabs something from it but I can't make out what it is and he closes the drawer again. 

He sits up on the bed and I sit up with him, he's fidgeting with whatever he took from the drawer but he has a serious look on his face and he takes a deep breath before saying, "I know our lives haven't been easy but there's one thing that's been constant and that's you. And now that the war is over I feel okay doing this. So, Y/N Y/l/N will you marry me?" 

I look at him and see him holding a ring and feel tears filling my eyes as I eagerly nod my head. He slips the ring on my finger before kissing me. I look down at it happiness filling me as we lay down for bed together. My last thought before falling asleep is maybe happily ever after can still happen.