Part 43

Collectorate

Akshara was busy in her work when she heard a knock on her door.

Akshara – Come In

SP – Hey bestie?

Akshara (frowned)– we didn't have a meeting scheduled as far as I remember. So why are you here?

SP (professionally) – That's no way to treat your fellow officer Ms. Singhania.

Akshara – Oh please! Drop the facade doesn't suit you.

SP (whined) – Hey! You don't let me behave maturely and when I behave like my usual self you call me "manchild'. What am I supposed to do now?

Akshara (annoyed) – Are you going to tell me why you are here or not? Because I don't have time for your temper tantrums.

SP (rolled his eyes) – I came here for work only.

Akshara – Okay! What is it?

SP (serious) – Actually we already had the idea about the involvement of municipality. I mean now we know for sure an officer is involved as the building shouldn't get approved in the safety inspection in the first place but it did. I was hoping to get a second opinion on this what should we do should we file a complaint straight away and get him suspended or should we continue so that other culprits won't get alarmed.

Akshara was zoned out she wasn't paying attention to what kunal said.

SP – Aks?

Akshara – What were you saying?

Kunal repeated his dilemma again, but he was now paying attention to her expression as he knew something is not right with her.

Akshara – What difference does it make if other culprits get alarmed or not. You do what the protocol says, just go after everyone who's involved.

SP – You do know what that means, right? We have no idea who is after you and that's what I am worried about. If we keep the investigation under the wrap, it will be safer for you.

Akshara – You do know what you are saying ? You can't intervene in the investigation because of personal reasons Kunal.

SP – It's not personal reasons for me, as much as I am responsible for the security of the citizens, I am responsible to keep our DM safe as well so I can take necessary actions for that.

Akshara – You can't keep it secret forever, you will have to take statements, you will have to interrogate people so its going to get out sooner or later so just go on with it.

SP (sighed) – Unfortunately you are right... But I am just worried, you know I.. I care about you.

Akshara (assuring) – I will be fine, I can handle that stuff and I trust you to keep my family safe. Beside as fast as you progress with the investigation and as soon as culprits are behind the bars it will be better for everyone including me. So don't worry about that and keep going on with it.

SP – Thanks, I guess you are right that will be best for everyone.

Akshara – Yep.

SP – One more thing...

Akshara – Okay, what is it now?

SP – You do consider me your friend? maybe not friend well-wisher ? or whatever you do consider me someone whose opinion matters to you right?

Akshara – You are rambling Kunal, and ofcourse you are my friend.

SP – Then tell me what's going on with you? I know your mind is occupied somewhere else. Even earlier that day you were annoyed by me. I don't really mean to pry but I just want to make sure you are okay.