54: Human Among Gods

Jane Foster: We have to do that again. [she notices Heimdall for the first time] Hi.

Heimdall: Welcome to Asgard.

Returning to their homeland, Svartalfheim, Malekith kneels and grabs a handful of dust from the ground.

Malekith: [subtitled] Look at my legacy, Algrim. I barely remember the time before light.

Algrim places his hand on Malekith's shoulder.

Algrim: [subtitled] Our survival will be your legacy.

Malekith: [subtitled] The Asgardians will suffer as we have suffered. I will reclaim the Aether. I will restore our world and I'll put an end to this poisonous world.

As the Asgardian physicians study Jane and the force within her.

Jane Foster: What's that?

Eir: Be still.

Masaru and Thor watches with one of the nurses as they examine Jane.

Thor: This is not of Earth, what is it?

Asgardian Nurse: We do not know, but she will not survive the amount of energy surging within her.

The nurse turns and walks away as Thor looks at Jane with worry.

Jane Foster: That's a quantum field generator, isn't it?

Eir: It's a Soul Forge.

Jane Foster: Does a Soul Forge transfer molecular energy from one place to another?

Eir looks impressed.

Eir: Yes.

Masaru: NEEEERRRRRRRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you caught that reference we're friends.

Jane looks at Thor and whispers.

Jane Foster: It's a quantum field generator.

Thor smiles at her, Odin enters the room as Thor looks on to Jane as she is being examined.

Odin: My words are mere noises to you that you ignore them completely?

Thor: She's ill.

Odin: She is mortal. Illness is their defining trait.

Masaru: I'm mortal too.

Odin: Difference being you can level a planet...

Masaru: Fax...

Thor: I brought here because we can help her.

Odin: She does not belong here in Asgard anymore than a goat belongs at a banquet table.

Jane sits up and looks at Thor.

Jane Foster: Did he just...? [to Odin] Who do you think you are?

Masaru: I wouldn't say that if I was you.

Odin: I'm Odin. King of Asgard. Protector of the Nine Realms.

Jane Foster: Oh. Well, I'm...

Odin: I know very well who you are, Jane Foster.

Jane turns to look at Thor.

Jane Foster: You told your Dad about me?

Masaru: Cute.

Thor: Something is within her, father, something I have not seen before.

Odin: Her world has its healers, they're called doctors, let them deal with it. Guards, take her back to Midgard.

As guards approach Jane and go to grab her, suddenly the energy force within her sets off again throwing the two guards aside.

Thor: Don't touch her. [he leans down and tenderly touches Jane] Jane, are you alright?

Jane nods her head, Odin inspects the energy force running through Jane's body and realizes it's the Aether.

Odin: That's impossible.

Eir: The infection, it's defending her.

Masaru: No, it's defending itself.

Odin: Come with me. There are relics that predate the universe itself. What lies within her appears to be one of them. The Nine Realms are not eternal. They had a dawn as they will have a dusk. [Odin shows Thor and Jane an ancient book] But before that dawn the dark forces, the Dark Elves, reigned absolute and unchallenged.

Masaru: [reading from the book] "Born of eternal night, the Dark Elves comes to steal away your light." ...Bars.

Thor: They were these stories mother told us as children.

Odin: Their leader, Malekith made a weapon out of that darkness, it was called the Aether. While the other relics often appeared as stones, the Aether is fluid and ever changing. It changes matter into dark matter and seeks out to host bodies, drawing strength from their life force. Malekith sought to use the Aether's power to return the universe to one of darkness. But after eternities of blood shed, my father Bor, finally triumphed, ushering in the peace that lasted thousands of years.

Jane Foster: What happened?

Odin: He killed them all.

Thor: Are you certain? The Aether was said to have been destroyed with them and yet here it is.

Odin: The Dark Elves are dead.

Jane Foster: Does your book happen to mention how to get it out of me?

Odin: No, it does not.