20. Freedom

As Fury calls Barton on his earpiece.

Nick Fury: Agent Barton Report.

Clint Barton rappels down from the catwalk, and walks up to Fury. They both walk around the bottom of the facility in a discreet manner.

Nick Fury: I gave you this mission so you could keep a close eye on things.

Clint Barton: Well I see better from a distance.

Fury, Tien, Yamcha, and Clint continue walking.

Nick Fury: Are you seeing anything that might set this thing off?

They walk to the Tesseract machine.

Nasa Scientist: Doctor, It's spiking again

Selvig walks over and begins typing.

Clint Barton: No one's come or gone. Selvig is clean. No contacts, no I.M.s. If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end.

Tien: (confused) At this end?

Clint Barton: Yeah the cube it's a doorway to space right? Well doors open from both sides.

Dr. Erik Selvig types on his keyboard.

Erik Selvig: (quietly) Not yet.

The monitor flashes. Suddenly, the Tesseract thunders and shakes the entire facility. Both Agent Coulson nearby, and Maria Hill topside and both look upwards, feel the tremors.

The cube glows brighter and emits a ring of light, and builds like a beam, similar to the Bifrost bridge. The power hits the edge of the platform, and begins to form a vortex, which becomes a portal.

Space appears through the portal, and a gust of blue energy knocks people back. The cloud shoots to the ceiling, and the portal on the platform opens up as Vegeta, Nappa, and Loki steps through.

The portal vanishes, and the three grin at everyone, Loki holding his spear. He frowns as he sees them looking at him.

Nick Fury: Sir please put down the spear.

Loki responds with firing a blast of blue energy from his spear, while Barton narrowly tackles Fury out of the way, the two barely miss getting hit.

Everyone shoots at Vegeta, Nappa and Loki, but the bullets deflect off of them. Loki immediately takes down everyone shooting at him easily, with knives and energy blasts from his sceptre.

Vegeta and Nappa annihilate agents with simple ki blasts. Barton commando rolls out of the way. Loki pauses, grinning, and looks to who will attack him next. Barton attempts to attack him, but Loki grabs his wrist, disarming him.

Loki: You have heart.

Loki places the tip of the spear against Barton's chest. Barton's eye glow black, and he stops resisting as they become blue.

Tien and Yamcha rush ahead they both attack Loki, Loki swings his spear knocking Yamcha away, then he knees tien in the stomach.

Tien: TRI-BEAM!!!!

He sends Loki flying, Yamcha and Tien stand before Loki.

Loki: (to the saiyans) I thought we were helping each other.

Vegeta: Nappa if you will.

Nappa releases a Bomber DX the two humans are sent flying, Loki stands and places the tip against the humans chests. Their eyes turn black and then blue.

Loki begins controlling other agents around the room. Fury sneak up, grabs the Tesseract, and places it in a briefcase, trying to sneak out.

Loki: Please don't. I still need that.

Nick Fury: [ turning to face Loki ] This doesn't have to get any messier.

Loki: Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard, and I am burdened with glorious purpose.

Erik Selvig: (looking up from checking on the scientist Loki killed) Loki? Brother of Thor?

Nick Fury: We have no quarrel with your people.

Loki: An ant had no quarrel with a boot.

Nick Fury: You planning to step on us?

Loki: I come with glad tidings, of a world made free.

Nick Fury: Free from what?

Loki: Freedom. Freedom, is life's great lie. Once you accept that, in your heart...

Loki turns to face Selvig who's standing behind him and places his spear against Selvig's heart. Selvig's eyes glow black.

Loki: You will know peace.

Loki turns to face Fury.

Nick Fury: Yeah you say peace I kind of think you mean the other thing.

The Tesseract cloud is building and getting worse, Barton looks up and walks over to Loki.

Clint Barton: Sir, director Fury is stalling. This place is about to blow.

Tien: Drop a hundred feet of rock on us. (looks at Fury) He means to bury us.

Nick Fury: Like the Pharaoh's of Old.

Erik Selvig is typing on a computer.

Erik Selvig: He's right The portal is collapsing in on itself. We've got about 2 minutes before this goes critical.

Loki looks at Clint.

Loki: Well then.

Clint without hesitation shoots Fury and grabs the Tesseract case and walks out with other controlled SHIELD personal.