24. America

We are now in a SHIELD analytical room, filled with monitors of partially silhouetted people. Fury stands in the middle, frowning. They make up the World Security Council.

Councilmen 1: Director SHIELD operates under the world security council we should have been informed of all the details.

Nick Fury: The Council's interest in our work has always been about results not procedure.

Councilmen 2: Agent Clint Barton, Agent Tenshinhan, And Agent Yamcha are intimate with SHIELD procedure I believe and now we learn they are working with the enemy.

Fury frowns looking down wondering who told them most definitely not Natasha, Masaru, or Coulson chances are it was Hill.

Councilmen 2: Men whose talent appears to be...

Fury cuts councilmen 2 off.

Nick Fury: Killing, but they didn't kill me, they didn't go for the headshot they've been brainwashed but I won't write them off we're on Loki's trail, we're scrambling a response team.

Councilwomen: (spiteful) The Avengers?

Councilmen 1: The Avengers initiative was shut down director it was a volatile concept at the best of time which this is not.

Nick Fury: (lying) This is just a response team.

Councilwomen: (snapping) I suggest you make your response rapid we all know what's at stake.

The screen turns off.

Nick Fury: (to himself) yes we do

We are now in a Brooklyn gym at night. Occupied by one man, beating a punching bag in the gym lights, alone in the floor, lost in the fight. Steve Rogers. He beats the bag harder trying to get rid of the memories that invade his mind.

We see a WWII flashback.

We see a Hydra base, Captain America is running through a forest, dodging mortar shells, gunfire and Tesseract energy blasts.

Steve Rogers: (Echoey) There's not enough time! I gotta put her in the water!

In the present, Steve's punches become harder and more violent.

In the flashback, Steve places the compass he has, featuring a picture of Peggy Carter, on the dash as the plane plummets towards the ice.

The present, his punches become violent and aggressive.

Peggy Carter: [flashback voice] You won't be alone.

Red Skull picked up the Tesseract, and vanishes.

We are back in the present Steve is breathing the bag with everything he has.

SHIELD Scientist: (flashback) Oh my god!

Steve is lying on a table, half frozen, and still partially trapped in a slab of ice. Two SHIELD scientists run equipment over him, checking for his vitals.

SHIELD Scientist: This guy is still alive!

We are back in the present. Steve punched the bag, easily a hundred pounds, across the room with one swing snapping the metal chain and pummeling it back a dozen feet, sand spilling out from where he cracked the fabric. He stands up, breathing hard, and grabs another bag, resuming a more normal routine. Fury walks in.

Nick Fury: (not at all worried) Trouble sleeping?

Steve Rogers: (pointing out the obvious) I slept for seventy years, sir. I think I've had my fill.

Nick Fury: (giving idea) Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world.

Steve stops punching and walks over to the bench, unraveling the tape off his hands. He sits down.

Steve Rogers: I went under, the world was at war, I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost.

Nick Fury: We've made some mistakes along the way. Some very recently.

Steve Rogers: You here with a mission, sir?

Nick Fury: (walking towards steve) I am.

Steve Rogers: Trying to get me back in the world?

Nick Fury: Trying to save it.

Fury hands Steve a file on the Tesseract, along with other files on HYDRA'S projects, Steve reads it.

Steve Rogers: Hydra's secret weapon.

Nick Fury: Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think, the Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs.

Steve Rogers: Who took it from you?

Steve hands the file back to Fury.

Nick Fury: They're called Vegeta, Nappa and Loki. (Nick hesitates) They're not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know.

Steve Rogers: At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me.

Nick Fury: Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing package waiting for you back at your apartment.

Steve turns and picks up a punching bag. Steve starts walking out of the gym.

Nick Fury: Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?

Steve Rogers: (bluntly) You should have left it in the ocean.