Chapter 40: Lessons learned

River

It's been a few weeks since everything went down with Melissa. She tried to post bail, but it was denied. Thank God! I don't want to think about what she would do if she was out. A couple of the jailers have said they've had to put her in her own cell, she was causing issues with the other inmates. She's tried to get them to get Auggie for her, but after the first time Auggie set them straight. He told them that they were not to bother him again. My aunt: her mother, reached out to see if I would think about retracting my statement. She reminded me we were family. After listening to her side, I simply told her no and she hung up on me. She hasn't called since. Not that she did before. That doesn't bother me, we were never close. After that we found out Melissa had staged her attempted suicide. She had searches on her laptop on the exact number of pills to take to not kill herself. She really is crazy. I'm so grateful, with that evidence and Urban's testimony they were able to add charges to the list, but with JD's testimony about prom she will get years before she will even be eligible to be released. She won't be able to get out for a while and that took a weight off my shoulders that I didn't know I had been carrying.

My mom has continued to reach out. I told her I wasn't ready just yet and she backed off. Auggie and I came home one evening and my Aunt Jess and Aunt Connie were waiting for us. Auggie told them to leave. I grabbed his pinkie and squeezed, and he calmed. They both wanted to apologize not to just me, but to Auggie as well. I basically told them that same thing I did to my mom. That I forgave them both, but I'm not quite ready to forget. It will take time to repair our relationship with all of them. I'm hopeful that with everything out in the open we can mend our relationship, but only time will tell.

Tonight, is Auggie's turn to make dinner. He didn't have time to cook so he's picking up something from our favorite place. I offered to cook, but he didn't take me up on that offer. He had finally received an offer on his house. He was meeting with his realtor to go over the details. He was getting rid of most of his things, but we had already packed up and moved the stuff he wanted to keep, so I knew he was going to ask for a short closing. He was ready to be done with the house. We were going to officially live together as roommates. Maybe more one day. I just need him to be patient with me.

One month later: River

The Prosecutor offered Melissa a plea deal. Melissa's lawyer must have advised her to take the deal offered and she listened. She took the deal. I'm relieved. I thought she would draw it out. I'm surprised she didn't, but I'm not going to question it. She will be out of our lives for at least ten years. Good riddance. I've seen my aunt at Walmart a few times. She usually goes the other way. Fine by me. I have nothing to say to her either.

In the past month Auggie and I have grown into a routine. The easy effort we used to have as kids when talking is still there. Last week Auggie asked if we could start dating. We've always been friends and occasionally more until...until we weren't. We've never had a chance to be more, not after prom. That's what I wanted then, but did I want it now? He hurt me, he knows he hurt me, and he promises he just wants a chance to prove it to me. What if I give him a chance only for him to hurt me again? But a stronger voice is saying, "but what if he doesn't." I'm going to go with my gut and take a chance on him. So, I agreed to take it slow. He's letting me set the pace.

~~

Tonight is our first date. Growing up we hung out, but we never had a date. I mean I've been on dates with other guys, but for whatever reason I'm nervous, which is stupid, we live together. It's not like we have to have an awkward conversation, but this is weird. After putting on the final touches of makeup I take a look at myself in the mirror. I asked him how I should dress, and he told me, jeans, boots and a T-shirt.